Retrospect 4.3 + OS 9

I hope this is the correct area to be asking this question. If it's not, I apologize.

We're running Retrospect version 4.3 under MacOS 9. During network backups, the backup server is continuely running into error code -42. (too many open files)

Is this a limitation of OS 9? If so, what's the solution?

If it's a limitation of Retrospect, is there a solution?

Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

--

Michael

9 views and no replies! /gasp/ (just kidding)

I suppose I should give a little more information, perhaps that will help? The Retrospect Server v4.3 has no issues with copying thousands of files from Windows workstations -- however -- they have client software installed.

The problem is with the 2K, NT, and Unix servers. They all have AFP services running, and publish mountable volumes for Macintosh computers. When Retrospect starts a backup on any of the servers (no client software installed) of the mounted Appletalk/ASIP volume, it errors out with "-42 (too many open files)". The error occurs during the start of the copy. It generally errors out before it's able to copy one file, but some times (randomly) it's able to copy a couple hundred files before the error occurs.

Suggestions? Comments?

--

Michael

• 4 weeks later...

Allocating more memory to Retrospect was one of the first things we tried. And yes, there really were that many open files.

The problem ended up being masked by multiple layers of non-sense, but we eventually figured it out. Our primary concern was with getting Retrospect to backup files off the Linux machines, and this is where we encountered the most grief.

The short story:

It turned out to be a problem with Netatalk on the linux side and unix file permissions. If the files had read/write attributes, once the files were opened for reading by Retrospect they wouldn't be closed.

The solution ended up being that we mounted the Macintosh Volumes on the Retrospect server ReadOnly. Once we did that, we didn't encounter anymore errors.

Archived