USB drives hang Retrospect but are availalbe in Windows XP

My USB drives disconnect from Retrospect 7.5 (latest updated version) but are fully available in Windows XP Pro explorer. I have had this happen with 3 different USB Iomega drives and a LaCie drive, all external USB hard drives. Retrospect will completely hang and nothing short of a power-off computer shutdown seemed to close Retrospect, until I discovered that disconnecting or powering off the USB drive will allow Retrospect to close.

If I then re-power the drive and re-start Retrospect, I can run a complete backup. When it goes to run the same job the next night, it fails again (can't see the drive). The computer is a Hewlett-Packard Pavilion 1350n, 2 gigs of ram, dual-core processors. I've tried switching the USB ports. All drives have their own power supplies. I would love some assistance on this.

Is this the wrong forum for this post? I haven't found a way to get a response from anyone on this problem for months. Is it time to trash the backup software and go somewhere else?? It seems to me this is a pretty serious problem and the company should respond on it without asking me to pay for the answer. What goes here???

John:

I am asking the following because I have had a variety of USB problems with external drives and scanners on two different machines, which I solved with new USB cards and drivers...

Are your USB ports on the motherboard or do you have a separate USB card?

Is it USB 1.1 or 2.0?

If it's a card, who is the manufacturer?

Wayne Scott

I just went out and bought a USB 2.0 4-port PCI card. Same Problems. I tried with both drives on the new card, one drive on the new card and one on the motherboard USB ports, etc. I think Retrospect cannot support 2 USB external hard drives at the same time. If I use only one of them, it may be working. I'll know in a day or so. I can't understand why EMC staff are unaware of these problems. Don't they monitor the forums? There's nothing about them in hte knowledgebase. I refuse to pay them to solve their own problems. I think the support is way less than adequate!

Thank you. The problem is solved. I can also connect multiple external USB drives now without any problems. I just hope turning off the system restore on all drives doesn't present other problems down the line. I had actually seen this article, but didn't think it applied to the USB problem. Anyway, thanks again.

• 1 month later...