Retrospect 5/6 on WIndows XP insuffient permission

MargyL

I'm running Retrospect 5.6 Desktop Edition on a four-computer peer-to-peer LAN, all running Windows XP. Each system has a user account with a password. We used to get the "Insufficient permissions (1017)" error only when we did an automatied backup of all four computers, but now we get it all the time.

I already followed your instructions to use the Services dialog box to configure the Retrospect Launcher to log in with a specific user name (the name of an administrative account on the local system). It didn't fix matters. When I try an Immediate Backup, I see a dialog box asking me for the user account name and password on one of the other systems on the LAN. I type in a correct user account name and password (it's an administrative account on the other machine). I get the "Insufficient permissions" error.

In addition to specific instructions for fixing this, I'd love to know the general idea of how this is supposed to work. Does Retrospect ask for an remember the account name and password for each machine that it is backing up? Would it help to have matching names on all the systems? For example, should we make an account "Backup" with the same password on all the systems, or what?

Thanks in advance!

Margy Levine Young,

I think this is the key "I try an Immediate Backup, I see a dialog box asking me for the user account name and password on one of the other systems on the LAN. I type in a correct user account name and password (it's an administrative account on the other machine). I get the "Insufficient permissions" error. "

Try this. Go to Configure Volumes. Then right click on this volume that needs the login or the one that is getting the errors. Then click on the little drive icon picture next to the help icon. It says Auto Login when you put your cursor over it. Then fill that in.

See if this helps you.

Side note:

Permission errors may occur under the following conditions:

1. When the script was created you were logged in as user X. At the time of backup you are logged in as user Y who does not have permission to connect to the source server. NT/2000: -1001 (unknown Windows error) 98: -1017 (insufficient permissions)

2. When the script was created you were logged in as user X. At the time of backup you are not logged in. NT/2000: -1017 (insufficient permissions) 98: -1116 (can't access network volume)

Nope, that didn't do it. I configured the volume properties to include the username and password of the other computer that I want to back up, an Inspiron 7000. (That is, I entered a username and password that exist on the Inspiron 7000). No go.

In Windows Explorer, I can look at and change the files on the Inspiron 7000. But from within Retorspect, I get 1017, and it prompts me for the username and password again. I enter the username and password for the Inspiron 7000 -- error 1017 again. If I enter a username and password for the Retrospect computer, I get error 1116.

What's going on? If I can see the files in Explorer, why can't I back them up?!!!

Margy

Users will sometimes need to reconfigure the launcher service for custom login to network volumes.

Do the following to edit the launcher service for non-default login:

Windows NT 4.0

1. Open the Services Control Panel.

2. Select Retrospect Launcher, stop the service and then click the Startup button.

3. In the “Log On As” section select This Account. LocalSystem will appear in the field to the right.

4. Change “LocalSystem” to the account you want to use and then enter your password in the two password fields. (This allows automatic backup while logged in as the specified account, or while logged out.)

5. Restart the Launcher Service.

Windows 2000/XP

1. Open the Services Control Panel under Administrative Tools.

2. Select Retrospect Launcher, stop the service and then click the Startup button.

3. In the “Log On As” section select This Account. LocalSystem will appear in the field to the right.

4. Change “LocalSystem” to the account you want to use and then enter your password in the two password fields.

5. Restart the Launcher Service.

Archived