Unusually long time to scan prior to back-up

I have been using R.E. 4.3 on my iMac running OS 9.1 and have been doing weekly back-ups of selected files ('Hot' Labelled Items) from the HD for 3 years now without a hitch. Great stuff! I recently purchased an additional iMac Snow, (running OS9.2) and put the identical RE 4.3 program with the same driver updates on the new iMac which has more RAM and a faster MHz processor and with significantly less overall data on the HD but the RE scanning period on the new iMac (proir to the actual writing/backing-up of files) is taking about 15-20 mins for much, much less data to be scanned. On the old iMac, it scans the HD (7GB of data used of a 57GB HD) in only a few minutes as opposed to 15-20 minutes on the new iMac (only 5Gb used of a 38GB HD). I have allocated additional memory to both RE applications on both iMacs but can not understand why there is such a variation in scan times with such a similar set-up and yet it's a slightly faster computer and with more RAM. The program executes without errors on both iMacs but it takes forever to scan the HD on the new iMac. I would appreciate any help or comments as I found the customer tech support is a little expensive to access just for one question.