How to save original backup when source has deleted some items

Hello, I have a powerbook G3 with only a 6 GB hard drive. I just got a 160GB Maxtor HD with Retrospect 5.0. My intent is to backup my powerbook entirely, then delete files from the powerbook HD I only use occasionally to make more space available, but not to lose the backed up stuff when I do later backups from the powerbook. It seems that if I do a "normal" progressive backup, retrospect will delete files in the backup Maxtor drive that no longer appear on the source drive. Since I want to save the original files I put on the Maxtor drive, in case I need them again, but still want to back up new or changed files from the Powerbook source, what type of backup do I need to do, so as to not lose those original files.

Thanks very much to anyone who can answer this. DAK

Hi

It is important to note the difference between "backup" and "Duplicate" - This article may answer your question: http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=28094

If you are using "backup", Normal backups ONLY add files to the backup set. Normal backups cannot delete files. In your scenario, Normal Backup will give you the results you are looking for. A "Recycle backup" would erase the contents of the backup set.

nate

Thanks for your reply, Nate. If I understand it then, I do not want to ever use the "one touch" button, since that will duplicate everything and won't save any previously deleted files from the source that were originally copied to the backup file, right? I only want to do a "normal, corresponding" backup? Is that right? Thanks again. Dave

Hi

The one touch button (when used with default settings) makes a duplicate of your hard drive into a folder on the maxtor drive. The nice thing is everything _outside_ of that folder on the maxtor drive is left alone. In other words you are free to put anything you like on that disk and it will not be overwritten.

A lot of people keep a backup (run once a week or so) and also use the one touch feature for a "right now" backup. You don't have to do it this way but it can be convinent for retrieving individual files and such.

nate

Hi Nate,

If I'vealready used the one touch button and have a backup from that on the destination disk, and if I use the one touch button again, will it write over that backed up file already on the destination disk, or will it make another new folder on the destination disk? I like the ability to use the one touch bitton, but don't want to write over the original backup that contains files I have since deleted on the source drive.

Thanks, Dave

Hi

In your case I would create a new folder on the maxtor drive and edit the one touch script so that it points to the new folder. (You will have to define the folder as a subvolume)

That way you can continue using the one touch without overwriting the original backup. It is importatnt to note that changing the folder name is _not_ enough in OS9. You need to make a new folder.

Nate