Novell 6 and Mac OS 10.1.5 - new prob

crozynski

Previously added this to pnord's thread (was technically changing the subject, started seperate thread)

Post 1:

hi pnord

I was beginning to think I was the only one backing up a Novell server using Retrospect from OX10.1.5, at least, that's what I'm trying to do.

I'm having a problem where I can't specify the Novell server's files to backup because of what seems like a priviliges issue. I successfully login to the Novell server via TCP/IP (via the OS) although when trying to specify the Novell Server as the volume for the backup Retrospect tells me that it cannot be accessed. I am running Retrospect 6 and Novell 6 with Native File Access (meaning I connect to the server via TCP/IP and do not use the Novell client).

Is your setup similar, and did you have any issues initiating a Novell server backup?

Any comments much appreciated.

crozynski

Post 2 (new post):

progress report:

by disconnecting from the server and then forcing a reconnect by instructing Retrospect to perform an immediate backup (where a login screen appears and I enter my Novell username and login). Retrospect successfully scans the contents of the server, but when it attempts to backup, I experience something rather strange.

A UNIX command line 'debugger' begins printing over the top of my desktop where upon my system crashes. The contents of the command line includes lots of garbage (to me) and the word 'panic' (truth!) features a number of times, adding to my discomfort.

I don't think I'm going to solve this one in a hurry...

What mac do you have?

I had something like this happen when I tried to use an old Adaptec SCSI card in my new 933 G4. I checked the support pages at Adaptec and found that the older cards are not supported under OSX. I bought a new card from ATTO. I've not had any such problem with that card.

Paul

Paul,

I'll assume that you also had the ADPT 2940U2W SCSI card. As you pointed out there are no drivers available for this card to run on OSX. I was a put off that my recently purchased machine had an older card installed, but realised that the card was wrongly installed by the apple reseller and not apple itself. My reseller is sending out a compatible card.

Thank you.

Hopefully this resolves the problem. I've noticed that you haven't received a reply to your post. Good luck with it. Sorry for screwing with it by diverting the subject.

Craig

Craig,

Glad to hear that fixed your problem.

Yes, I think the card from my older Mac was a 2940. I was upset enough with Adaptec that I choose ATTO for the new card. ATTO was the recommendation of the support rep at Apple. His only reasoning was that ALL of the cards that ATTO was shipping were compatable with OSX. This is not true for Adaptec.

It did take me a while to get the new card working. But that was all my fault. I was trying to find the correct driver to install. But, there was nothing to install, it just worked.

I had the same trouble with our Kodak 290 digital camera. I just plugged it in and iPhoto took over! It worked and I didn't even have to think about it. If Apple keeps this up, I'll be out of a job!

Paul

Hello again,

Were you backing up to a tape drive Paul? I have installed the new card (Adaptec 2930, which is supported in OS X) and my computer is reading the new card okay, but now the Sony AIT drive is not responding, indicating I need to upgrade my Tape Drive too. It never ends does it?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated,

Craig

Archived