2GB file size limit question

After installing Retrospect I tried to set up a script to backup my complete system. I did an immediate backup to test the script, but Retrospect quit right away with the log message that a file was greater than 2GB. I don't believe this is the case. I have 14 GB on a 30GB HD. None of my files are that large (folders maybe). My HD is formatted as MAC OS Extended (HFS+). When my backup HD was installed I also selected MAC OS Extended, but it didn't seem to actually format the drive although it shows as Extended in GetInfo. And I can read from and write to the drive. I have MAC OS 9.2.2 running with Airport on and file sharing turned on. Could this be the problem? (Or, how can I be sure that the destination drive is formatted corrrectly?)

If Get Info shows the drive as Extended then it should be Extended. If you are unsure that the format completed successfully it wouldn't be a bad idea to reformat with the disk utilities.

- What version of Retrospect are you using?

- Is the backup (destination) drive attached locally to this computer or is it mounted from a network location?

How do I reformat an external hard drive in MAC OS 9.2.2? I went to the drive setup utility and it did not recognize my MAXTOR drive as being connected - it only showed my 2 internal HDs. Is there another utility to reformat a hard drive that is external and connected by firewire?

Hi

The one touch intallation manual has some information about reformatting but it seems to indicate that the drive should be visible with drive setup. One point - it does mention that you have to disable the file exchange extension and reboot before you can format the drive

nate

Thanks for the responses. I completely reinstalled everything (after uninstalling everything). Per the MAXTOR instructions I checked the formatting of the drive - MAC OS Extended. I did an immediate backup with File Sharing = off and, voila, it worked. The backup of my main hard drive of 12.3GB showed up as approximately the same size. I still have a questions, however. My system has three disks, 2 internal, and the external hard drive (MAXTOR) for backup. I asked that only the hard drive that contains my system to be backed up but Retrospect started backing up my other internal hard drive and I don't understand why it did that. I stopped the backup after it started on my other internal HD. It looks as though it may try to also backup my external hard drive (something about 1 of 3, 2 of 3) Won't that cause an endless loop? How do I do a backup of just one of my hard drives? How about just some of the folders on that hard drive?

Thanks for taking the time to respond to these 'newbie' questions.

Hi

Retrospect will only backup the volumes selected in the "source volume" section of the backup summary screen. In your case I believe you selected the desktop container as your source. Instead you should select only the disk you are looking to backup.

BTW you can make sure you have your backup set up properly with the following tutorial:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27501

Thanks

nate