Extremely large file size after backup

I am a new user of Retrospect. I got a MAXTOR OneTouch for Christmas. After following the installation instructions I did my first backup of my HD onto the MAXTOR using OneTouch (documents only). Retrospect said that my source file size was 11GB, but after the backup the destination file size was 123GB. I expected the destination file size to be not much larger than the source. I run MAC OS 9.2.2 with airport. My source hard drive has 'file sharing' enabled. Could this be the problem? Any thoughts on why this happened would be appreciated.

Hi,

How large is the Maxtor drive total? This is probably just filesystem trouble on the external drive mis-reporting the size. If you look at the data that was duplicated to the external drive do you see extra files? You may want to reformat the Maxtor drive and try the duplicate again.

nate

The MAXTOR drive is 250 GB. When I looked at the Microsoft folder that was backed up it said that it was over 10GB, but the original file was less than 1 GB. I didn't look inside that folder to see if there were any extra files or multiple copies of files. There were other files that were perfectly normal size (such as some photoshop files).

How do I reformat my external firewire connected MAXTOR drive? When I tried to use the drive setup utility it only recognized my 2 internal HDs. I am running MAC OS 9.2.2.

• 2 weeks later...