moving existing back up to new hard drive

I just purchased a new Maxtor External Hard Drive with Retrospect Express 5.0. I have been backing up to another external drive using v4.3. I would llke to move the existing backups to my new drive, and attempted to "drag and drop", but Retrospect won't let me do this. Is there a way to move them?

Hi

It appears you are using your old disk in a "removeable disk" backup set with Retrospect. This is not recommended.

If you have Retrospect 4.3 (not express) you can create a file backup set, save it on the maxtor drive and do a backup set transferunder the "tools->copy" menu. However, if you have more that 8GB of data you may run into some size limitations.

The best way about this is to upgrade to Retrospect 5.1 desktop and do the transfer to a file backup set that way. This will get you around any size limitations. For more info on backup to hard disk take a look at this page: http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27501

Nate

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much for the simple solution; I had spent two frustrating days trying to figure out how to do that using 4.3 Express.

I downloaded the trial version of 5.1 (I'm running OS 9.2), set up a new back up set and transferred 44 GB of data from my "removable disk" back up set to my new 250 GB MAXTOR HHD. As soon as I verified that everything worked, I ordered the permanent License Code and have been running a nightly back up ever since. Within hours, and for only about $50, I had actually streamlined my backup configuration because now I don't have to keep track of multiple disks.

Thanks again.

Ken Dunn