Synchronizing (slow) errors on Firewire HD restore (& missing files)

Maybe someone has seen this before. I backed up (using Retrospect Express 4.3) my internal SCSI HD to a backup "file" set on an external Firewire 60 GB HD. I'm using Mac OS 9.2.1. The file on the Firewire drive is a tad over 9 GB; initially matches the internal drive in size and number of contained files very closely. Unfortunately, I reformatted the internal drive and tried to restore all the files from the backup file set on the external Firewire HD but I keep getting "Synchronizing (slow)" error messages during the restore (over 300 errors in all). The restore proceeds to the end, but I am short about 1.5 GB and thousands of files. Now many files are missing or appear corrupted (like my Outlook Express email database). I tried rebuilding the catalog even though a message says it appears fine. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi

One possibility is that the catalog file has grown too large and isn't working.

You can try this but it would be a good idea to make an extra copy of your backup before hand (just in case)

Download and install a trial version of Retrospect 5.1

Go to configure backup sets and look at the properties for your backup set.

go to "options" and chose "separate catalog"

Then try rebuilding the catalog again.

If that fails you can try putting the separated catalog file in the trash and doing another rebuild.

Other than that you can try doing the restore running base extensions.

Nate