Recurrent Theme: No Backup Devices Found!

I purposely bought an older version of Retrospect Express (Ver 4.2) because I run a Beige

G3 under OS 8.6. I'm a graphics professional and have many customer files to keep backed up.

It is NOT in my interest to upgrade my OS beyond 8.6 and so I decided to purchase the Express

version that was designed to run on my OS. When my Sanyo CD burner (SCSI) wasn't found, I

convinced myself that it is not a supported drive. Then I thought I would just have Express

find either my internal floppy, internal ZIP drive, or external USB ZIP drive; Guess what...

NONE were ever found. In addition, ALL of these devices were mounted before launching

Express AND ALL of these devices show up just fine in Express's Device Status Window.

However, when I launch the Backup, Express scans for devices then comes up with the error

"No Backup Devices Found". I'm stumped...and disappointed. How can Express see all of these

devices just fine under the Device Status window and then NEVER see them when it's time to

backup? Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated!