G4 PB won't back up

I cannot get Retrospect Express to work with my G4 PowerBook. What do I need to do to remedy this situation?

I tried to back-up the hard drive after booting up in Classic (9.2.2) mode. (Of course, RE will not open in OS X.) I can successfully launch RE and create a back-up set and RE counts files and folders. But when I try to execute the back-up, an alert tells me that RE cannot find the back-up device.

Previously RE worked fine on my iMac with OS 9.1, backing up to ZIP 250 disks.

Some more information:

Retrospect Express 4.2

Retrospect 4.2 Driver Update

CD-RW/DVD-ROM, Device Revision AA20, Product Identification CD-RW CW-8121, Vendor Identification MATSHITA

Retrospect Express registration: (license code removed from post)

Finally, I tried reading your support pages and couldn't understand whether the CD/DVD combo drive is compatible with Dantz RE, or not. I see a CW-8121, but not MASTHITA. Also I'm not sure whether to get and install the firmware suggested on your support site-- I would rather not upgrade firmware only to find other barriers to using RE with my G4 Powerbook.

Thanks for your help. confused.gif

• 2 weeks later...

This drive is not supported with Retrospect 4.2. The minimum requirements are as follows:

Retrospect 5.0

Retrospect Driver Update 2.7.102

Firmware AA21*

*Due to potential dataloss issues with this drive, the minimum supported drive firmware revision is AA21. This firmware revision (or later) is on drives included with the currently shipping PowerBook G4 computers new as of 11/2002. Firmware revision AA21 addresses a serious dataloss defect where used discs will have an "erased" status and drastically improved performance when used with Retrospect. Dantz is working closely with Apple in regards to availability of the AA21 updater for earlier PowerBook G4 computers.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Dantz has worked very closely with Apple to improve Retrospect support for optical storage devices that ship with your Macintosh hardware.

Now available on the Dantz website are Apple firmware updates for the MATSHITA CW-8121 Combo Drive and MATSHITA UJ-815 SuperDrive.

The Apple CW-8121 firmware updater is for customers with earlier versions of the PowerBook G4. It updates the CW-8121 pre -AA21 firmware to AA21. The Apple CW-8121 firmware update requires Mac OS 9 to update.

The Apple UF-815 firmware updater is for customers with earlier versions of the PowerBook G4 with pre-D0CB firmware. It updates the UJ-815 firmware to D0CB. The Apple UJ-815 firmware update requires Mac OS X to update.

THE APPLE FIRMWARE UPDATES ONLY PROVIDE CHANGES NECESSARY FOR RETROSPECT SUPPORT AND ARE NOT NEEDED BY NON-RETROSPECT CUSTOMERS WITH OLDER DRIVE FIRMWARE.

Download info and critical upgrade directions are found at the following URL:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=28020