retrospect 5 can't restore my files stored with retrospect 4.3. I am running retrospect express 5 (latest version Retrospect Build 205 and Driver Update 2.8) both for os9 and osx on a titanium 667 (new) with matshita 8121. Problem: there is no way to get back data from cds I wrote with retrospect express 4.3.

retrospect is not able to read the cds.

using a desktop G4 733 the internal drive shows no problems an the disks are readable.

how can I get my files back on my titanium???

Which CD-R drive did you use for the initial backup? The Matshita 8121 was not compatible with Retrospect 4.3.

What are the exact messages or errors you are getting?

Make sure you are using all the appropriate Extensions for the OS you are using:

Required files on Macintosh OS 9.1 (minimum):

-Retrospect 5.0

-Retrospect SDAP Support extension version 1.2

-Toast CD Reader 5.0.x

** If you are using this option and running OS 9.2.1 disable the following extensions:

-Apple CD/DVD Driver version 1.4.7

-SDAP Authoring Support version 1.2

OR

Required files on Macintosh OS 9.2.x:

-Retrospect 5.0

-Retrospect SDAP Support extension version 1.2

-The Authoring Support Update Extensions:

A) Apple CD/DVD Driver version 1.4.7

B) SDAP Authoring Support version 1.2

C) Apple Packet Media Access version 1.0.1

OR

There are no required files for Mac OS X with version 5.0

Hi Amy,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

For the initial backup cds I used Retrospect 4.3 with an external YAMAHA 4416 SCSI at G4/400 Sawtooth (AGP).

My Powerbook is configured as follows:

OS 9.2.2: Retrospect Express 5.0.205, Driver Update 2.8, Apple CD/DVD 1.4.8, Retrospect SDAP Support 1.2, Toast CD Reader 5.1, SDAP Authoring Support 1.0.1, Packet Media Access version 1.0.1 - after 20 sec. of reading, Retrospect shows "erased".

OS X 10.1.5: Retrospect Express 5.0.205, Driver Update 2.8 - after 20 sec. of reading, Retrospect shows "unknown CD/DVD, inkompatible".

I wonder why the CD are readable with the G4/733 destop internal drive!

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Tom

Retrospect CD's should not be readable by the Finder in the internal drive. What are the names of the disks, as indicated by the finder? Can you open the disks and browse them? If so, what are the contents?

Can you do a test backup / restore with the new drive with a new backup set? Try backing up a folder or a few files - and then try a restore of these same files. Does this work?

Amy,

CDs of the initial backup cannot be read by the finder of OS 9/OS X. I restored them on the G4/733 with retrospect express 5. It is not able to browse, they don't have any names. Inserting one of the backup cds without running retrospect, the finder alerts: "You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that mac OS X can read. To use the unreadable volumes, click Initialize. To continue with the disk inserted, click Continue." I NEVER EVER clicked Initialize, but clicking Continue nothing will happen. The cd won't be shown on the desktop.

I recently tried a new backup. No problems to backup/to restore. The execution is succesfully completed.

I guess that cds written by retrospect with YAMAHA 4416 cannot be read by Panasonic CD/RW 8121. Probably the panasonic is not sensitive enough to read the data in opposition the internal drive of G4/733 does read the same cds. Do you agree?

:: Posting reply to your question answered in OS X forum by IrenaS ::

The CDs made by one supported Retrospect CD-RW drive should be readable in any other supported Retrospect CD-RW drive, as long as you access the CD through Retrospect.

It is possible that, in a few cases, this won't be true. This would normally be due to minor device or communication problems. It's more common with tape drives (where the heads of one drive will be very slightly out of alignment, and tapes created there can't be read elsewhere). It can certainly happen with CD drives as well, though, especially a much older drive and a much newer drive.

• 2 weeks later...

thank's for reply. I am not very happy with that, because that means that either the matshita or the yamaha 4416 does not work correctly. how to check? I am concerning to backup my files and probably I won't be able to restore them with my next mac!

Any recommendations?

Tom

Please keep in mind that these issues are very rare. In almost all cases, supported burners can read discs written by other supported burners. There are exceptions, as noted in the previous post. If one of the drives is having a communication problem, this can affect the way data is written, and can prevent data from being read. This is true across all media devices - from CD burners to VCR's. Also, CD burning technology has improved over time - CD's burned with very old drives may not be easily read by newer, faster drives. The Yamaha 4416 is almost 5 years old.

The greater majority of customers do not ever experience these issues when upgrading their drives.

• 10 months later...

Dantz has worked very closely with Apple to improve Retrospect support for optical storage devices that ship with your Macintosh hardware.

Now available on the Dantz website are Apple firmware updates for the MATSHITA CW-8121 Combo Drive and MATSHITA UJ-815 SuperDrive.

The Apple CW-8121 firmware updater is for customers with earlier versions of the PowerBook G4. It updates the CW-8121 pre -AA21 firmware to AA21. The Apple CW-8121 firmware update requires Mac OS 9 to update.

The Apple UF-815 firmware updater is for customers with earlier versions of the PowerBook G4 with pre-D0CB firmware. It updates the UJ-815 firmware to D0CB. The Apple UJ-815 firmware update requires Mac OS X to update.

THE APPLE FIRMWARE UPDATES ONLY PROVIDE CHANGES NECESSARY FOR RETROSPECT SUPPORT AND ARE NOT NEEDED BY NON-RETROSPECT CUSTOMERS WITH OLDER DRIVE FIRMWARE.

Download info and critical upgrade directions are found at the following URL:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=28020