How to restore without overwriting harddrive files

Hello! I'm having a heck of a time finding info on this in the docs so I decided to ask here.

I'm restoring large amounts of data from one back up set (22 gig). The restore process is 6 hours. I started the restore using "Immediate>Restore>Restore files from backup". I started the restore and stopped it after about 2 hours so I could do other work.

Now I want to start the restore off where it left off. When I start the restore using the above, I cannot find anyplace where I can tell Restrospect NOT to overwrite or replace what is already restored onto my harddrive. Retrospect seems to always want to start from the beginning ignoring what is already in the backup volume on the hard drive. I also can't find how to do this if I use a script instead of an immediate restore. .

What am I missing?

Here's what I need to do: restore data from a backup set to a specific volume on my HD without writing over what is already in that volume. That's it.

Help!

Thanks in advance!

guitrldy

Hey,

I'm not Dantz, but I'll chime in here anyway. What you're looking for is destination matching on a restore and I don't think you'll get it using "Restore Files From a Backup." If someone has a technique for it, perhaps they can share.

If you use "Restore an Entire Disk," Retro will match against your destination. Assuming the files you're restoring come from a single snapshot of a single volume, you can probably get it to work the way you want. If the files come from a variety volumes and snapshots, this isn't going to help.

Try it like this:

Choose Immediate>Restore and select Restore an Entire Disk.

Pick the snapshot containing your data for your source.

For the destination, define the folder from your previous restore as a subvolume.

Let Retro run matching and see what you're left with in "Files Chosen." The already restored files should appear as unmarked, that is, not to be restored this time around.

If you can't do the above you could select all for restore then manually unmark the ones you already got. Not fun, I know. It would probably be easier to do your original restore all over again right before you're leaving the computer for the night. Hope this helps.

As noted in the welcome e-mail to the forum:

This forum offers community-based support for Retrospect and other Dantz products. This is not an official means of contacting Dantz support. If you have an urgent question or would like to discuss your Retrospect problems with a Dantz technical support representative, please go to:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=how_to_contact_cs_and_ts

Archived