Renaming client

Jacklibog

My wife had MAC PPC7500 with Retrospect client name PM7500. I transfered the client control panel and the folder to her new computer a MAC PPC7600 and named it PM7600

It was impossible for me on my computer running the desktop software to change the client name because Retro would search for the client named PM7500 which had been removed from the network.

I had to go into the PM7600 and rename it temporarily PM7500. Then I was able to see it and change the name. Seemed like a lengthy process for such a great piece of software. Had I known the trouble I would have gone through the renamming before I took the PM7500 off the network. However, the manual does not make any mention of it.

It would be great if Dantz recognizes the fact that we do change or dispose of computers and want to retain the client software on another computer. Maybe the a dialogue box at the point of configuration could ask a set of questions to determine if the client is intact with the exception of a name change or something of that nature.

The key to this entire post is " I transfered the client control panel and the folder to her new computer a MAC PPC7600 and named it PM7600 "

You must INSTALL from scratch the client when moving to a new machine.

Doing what you did, we do not support.

Archived