Queries.

alpha24

Hi. I have several queries please. 1) My Retrospect "Select disc to store backups" screen usually shows (correctly) Local Disc © but sometimes also lists Local Disc (F) but ( F) is the installed designation of the backup itself. The restore points always include both but what is the point in "scanning" the backup. ? 2) Is there an option to lock or leave unlocked the back-up and where do I find it. ? What is the advantage of locking it. ? Does it isolate the backup so it would not be affected by a PC crash. ? Regards. Alpha.

Actually your post is from November 7th, not from July.

The backup drive is only scanned if you have added it as a source.

I don't understand what you mean to "lock or leave unlocked the backup"

Can you please tell us what Retrospect product you are using and what version?

The Retrospect User's Guide/Help is also a good resource for these questions.

Quote:

1) Actually your post is from November 7th, not from July.

2) The backup drive is only scanned if you have added it as a source.

3) I don't understand what you mean to "lock or leave unlocked the backup"

4) Can you please tell us what Retrospect product you are using and what version?

5) The Retrospect User's Guide/Help is also a good resource for these questions.

1) Thanks Mayoff. Sorry, a slip of the eye with a dormant brain. !!

2) My set-up specifys only my Local Disc C but every back-up also includes "Local Disc F" which is obviously the back-up.

3) When I open , get a Maxtor screen which asks for a password to unlock the back-up but there is no Lock or Don't Lock option. I also wondered if locking isolated the back-up so that it would not be affected by a PC crash ? I recently had a crash and lost the entire contents of my PC AND back-up,which has severely reduced my confidence in back-ups. !!

4) Retrospect Express HD for Windows,version 1.1.127.

5) I only have the Maxtor Users Guide (which seems to have been written for some obsolete version,as I find it difficult to apply it to the version I have. !!) How can I get a copy of the Retrospect

Users Guide, please. ?

Regards. Alpha.

Quote:

5) I only have the Maxtor Users Guide (which seems to have been written for some obsolete version,as I find it difficult to apply it to the version I have. !!) How can I get a copy of the Retrospect

Users Guide, please. ?

On the Retrospect documentation web page:

http://www.emcinsignia.com/supportupdates/documentation/#RETROSPECT

Quote:

3) When I open , get a Maxtor screen which asks for a password to unlock the back-up but there is no Lock or Don't Lock option. I also wondered if locking isolated the back-up so that it would not be affected by a PC crash ? I recently had a crash and lost the entire contents of my PC AND back-up,which has severely reduced my confidence in back-ups. !!

a crash can wipe anything, including your entire disk (as you found out). That's why you should also store offsite backups or backup to removable media. Consider what happens if you have a fire or if you lose the disk due to hardware failure. Having only one backup on the same disk that you are backing up is no insurance at all.

Quote:

Having only one backup on the same disk that you are backing up is no insurance at all.

I'm rather puzzled by this. Surely an external back-up drive such as Maxtor copies the contents of the local drive onto its own drive. ? Are you referring to the Windows XP integral back-up. ? I agree with what you say about removeable back-ups but I'm still looking for the answer to my query (3) about locking the back-up. !! Regards, Alpha.