Snapshots

I am new user of Retrospect Server after recently coming from Veritas and I am noticing that after each "differential" it takes an entire snapshot of the source which adds a lot of time to my backups. Even longer that Veritas! :P

For example, I have a script that for its "full backup" (recycled/new catalog) it takes about 10 hours to backup (for 40GB), but the "differential" during the weekday takes 3 hours (for 1.5GB). It's obviously most noticable on servers that have large number of files, in the previous example the server has 100,000+ items.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

glaviolette

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

Ok... Seems silly that it would backup all that information again. I'm no developer, but it seems that could be engineered more efficiently while still keeping the same functionality.

It sort of goes against the whole Retrospect IncrementalPLUS philosophy of backing up data that you already have in the backup set. In a way...

I don't mean to bash, I'm just trying to get this to work...

Thanks,

glaviolette

I understand, and then isn't that picture saved to the backup set? And isn't that picture generally similar to all the other pictures it has saved for that set except for the changes to the source as of each backup ?

I'm not trying to start an argument, I just want you to understand my point so that I am sure how this thing works...

Archived