Desktop & Client for Backups and Duplicates

PaulM

We have three Macs running OS 9.2.2 in three different sites linked via routers and ADSL. We have managed to create an Appleshare VPN using an ATMP link between the routers.

Each site currnetly has Retrospect Desktop 4.3 scripted to back up to removable media each night for the master files that are generated and maintained on each individual site. We wish to create duplicates of some of these master files each evening on either one or both of the other machines in our network via TCP/IP as the Appleshare link is a bit slow.

Do I need to purchase retrospect clients for each site do this? If so, is it possible to install both Retrospect Client 5.0 and Retrospect Desktop 4.3 and have them both running together?

Please could you confirm that I have to add the port forwarding function and fire wall let throughs for the retrospect port of 497 for the TCP/IP function to work? Do I also need to enable the multicasting option if we already have static WAN IP's addresses and static LAN IP addresses?

Retrospect 4.3 will backup not backup 5.0 clients. You need to have the 5.0 application.

Retrospect uses port 497. Yes. If you use Static IP address, and your using 4.3 Desktop, then you can add by IP address and not do multi-casting. BUT if you use 5.0 and have Desktop, then you will have to allow multi-casting.

Thanks for the reply but your first line in the reply is confusing. Will Desktop 4.3 backup(duplicate) to a 5.0 Client? Just to confirm what you mean in the rest of the message. Yes we can have both Desktop and Client versions running but we need to enable multicasting in order for this to work?

Will Desktop 4.3 backup(duplicate) to a 5.0 Client? NO! 4.3 needs 4.3 clients or below. You cannot use verson 5.0 0 clients with 4.3.

>>Yes we can have both Desktop and Client versions running but we need to enable multicasting in order for this to work? << Yes.

Archived