Revision: HAEA

Serial Number:

Detachable Drive: No

Protocol: ATAPI

Unit Number: 0

Socket Type: Internal

Low Power Polling: Yes

worked for a while then said error

so I configured the drive becuase it said on reboot no drive ..

now it is asking me to put in the disk over and over .. !!! eeeeeeeccccccccck is this right the docs say could take between 2 and 200 minutes .. does that mean I need to sit and put this disk in over and over for 200 minutes ???? Anyone know what is going on .. Used Reto since 95 but have not used it in years now I try on my powerbook and no luck ... always used it in the past with tape drives .. What is going on .. computergrem1.gif

It might help if you provided information on your version of Retrospect and RDU (Retrospect driver update) version, and it would also be good if you provided your Mac OS X version. If you are still using the same Retrospect version that you had back in 1995, things don't look promising and an update might be in order.

The UJ-857 is shown as being a supported device, provided that your RDU and Retrospect versions are up-to-date:

Retrospect supported devices: UJ-857

Retrospect updates are here:

Retrospect Macintosh updates

RDU updates are here:

RDU version history

Because the UJ-857 is listed as a supported device, you should NOT do a custom configuration, and will end up with poorer results than if you use the configuration parameters already in the RDU. Quit Retrospect, move the .rdi file in /System/Preferences/Retrospect to the desktop (and trash it after things are shown to work). That will get rid of the custom configurations.

Quote:

so I configured the drive becuase it said on reboot no drive ..

If your UJ-857 isn't showing up in Apple System Profiler, there is no hope for Retrospect being able to use it. Make sure it shows up there. If it doesn't, a trip to the repair shop is in order.

Russ

rhwalker many thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on getting rid of the custom configurations, I will try ASAP ..... could not get the drive to show up tried everything so as a last ditch effort I did the custom configurations again ,, but could not even get that to finish ..have lost about a day of my life on this one and about 20 disk ..

osx 11.4.10

Retrospect 6.1.126

all is the latest I think

.. the drive is a

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857:

Model: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857 did not know that was a panasonic ???

I hope I can get this going .. again thanks rhwalker

Quote:

osx 11.4.10

My. That's a version that hasn't been released yet! It's MORE than just the latest, it's the future. Sure there isn't some sort of a typo there?

Quote:

Retrospect 6.1.126

all is the latest I think

You still have left out the most important piece of information: The RDU version. In order to get this drive to work you MUST be running the current RDU. I provided the link to the RDU updates above. Download the current RDU, put it into your Retrospect folder in the Applications folder. Verify that the RDU is loading by looking in the Retrospect logs - it will print version of Retrospect and RDU at every launch. Or, you can look in the Retrospect menu at the top of the screen, "About Retrospect", and the info window will provide the RDU version number. Verify that you are using the current RDU by providing us with the version.

Also, please confirm that you see the drive in Apple System Profiler.

Russ

Ok, your screen shot confirms what I suspected. You ARE NOT running any Retrospect Driver Update (see the blank space in your screen shot above for "About Retrospect", adjacent "Driver Update Version").

You will not have successful operation with your drive unless you install a current Retrospect Driver Update, as I have now suggested twice, and as I now suggest a third time.

again, the RDU updates are here (the very same link that I provided in my very first response to you):

RDU update history

Is there some reason that you are not following my instructions to install the RDU? Again, it goes in the Retrospect folder in your Applications folder, the same folder with the Retrospect application. After installing, check the "About Retrospect" info dialog to confirm that you are running the RDU.

Again, I suggest you install RDU 6.1.11.101 (the most recent RDU) and try again without any .rdi file (see previous posts). No more help from me until you have done that.

By the way, I suggest that you delete/modify your post showing your Registration code.

Russ

retrovb8.png

thanks .. I put it in after you told me but took the screenshot before .

I can get it to do small backups ... like a 17 gig file ( 5 disks ) but when I say back up say a whole drive that is 200+ gigs ( 43 disks ) it starts off fine then starts to show disk errors and destroys brand new disks , then when it does work the 4.7 gig disks only get about a gig of data on them and it spits them out saying put another disk in or there was and error and try another disk . After about 17 disk (out of the 43 it said it needed to do the backup when it started ) and only putting about a gig of info on the last few disk I re boot and do a small file ... everything fine ... but when I go back to the large file back up it seems to have trouble with the disk . Is there some kindof file backup / size limit for Retro with DVD +r's ?

problemfilexx5.jpg

rhwalker thanks , I will just break up the drive in different storage sets for now just to get going and attack the whole drive thing later... you do 10 or 20 disks with 20 or 30 to go and and get an error, from then on all the DVD's and time up to that point are wasted . crazy.gif