Mac Pro OPTIARC support - nothing still in rdu 6.1.11.101

I've just received and updated to the latest driver update (6.1.11.101) and see that my OPTIARC is still unsupported on my Mac Pro - thus I can't back up to removable media. This is such a problem for me - when can we expect some support for the OPTIARC?

Here are my machine's relevant details:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro1,1

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

Memory: 3 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B04

SMC Version: 1.7f8

OPTIARC DVD RW AD-7170A:

Firmware Revision: 1.N8

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)

Cache: 0 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -RAM, -RW

Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes

Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media: No

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. It is good to know that Dantz/EMC are now aware of this issue.

FYI: I've had hardware with this drive since January this year. I believe that the drive has been around longer as I recall seeing some other posts mentioning it last year. Please see if you can raise the priority of catering for this device as it is in all of the Mac Pros as I understand it.

If you need someone to test things then please let me know. I would really like to have my DVD media backups back.

Cheers,

-C

• 1 month later...

I would recommend using a different backup device.

We never recommend using optical media. It is not very reliable and backups completed in one drive may not be readable in a different drive if needed at a future date. Optical media is just not a good way to do backups. I can't imagine trying to copy 100's of GB of data to optical disk. You will be switching out disks for days before the backup is done.

You should look at external Hard Disks or tape as a backup media type.

I'd have to agree about the backup device... I spent years backing up to CD and then DVD. Swapping out media became a pain. I back up to hard drives now and will never go back. The time saved between the faster speed and not having to babysit discs is considerable, and hard drives are very cheap these days.

Using a different type of media device is probably good advice. However, let's not get distracted. Retrospect supports Optical drives but not the one found in the current range of MacPros. I would have thought that EMC would want to address that.

I'm not backing up hundreds of gigs, just a few. Hard drives are getting smaller and cheaper, but they're still not anywhere near as cheap and portable as optical disks.

Please, EMC, this is standard equipment on Macs. You need to support it if you're going to claim to support Macs.

I am self employed and have to buy all of my own hardware. I'm not in the position to spend thousands on tape drives AND tapes and I would rather not have to worry about storing dozens of hard drives. Retrospect has been fine in the past when archiving to optical media, if EMC is officially saying that optical backups on Apple's flagship hardware is not recommended, I'll be surprised, but look for another software solution.

As far as swapping disks ad nauseam in order to archive hundreds of Gigs is concerned... I wouldn't have that much to do at one time if EMC got it's act together and supported the drive in the OCTO. Is there an official explanation as to why it's not supported? The 'it's new' explanation just doesn't fly.

thank you,

Peter