Lost password recovery?

rschreiber

oh yea. I wasn't really expecting to get around the ecryption, per se. The nighlty backups have been running OK for months with a stored password, I just can't seem to get it right. I am just making sure that there aren't any known bugs where the password isn't being processed correcly when I try to do a restore. Since I can't restore, the data is effectively lost. Clearly the program knows what it is, what I need is for it to reguritate it for me.

rws

The problem is that I have just deleted a directory by accident and would like to recover it. Its not the end of the world since I can else-wise recreate it, but this would be better. I had just run the backup last night and killed it today.

I have already made a new full-backup of the remaining data since I assume it will be unrecoverable from the old backup-set.

rws

Just a recap for some user education...

In my original scenario I was doing backups to a Disk Backup Set that had a password assigned and I had forgotten the password. The nightly backups were working just fine, but I found that I could not do a manual restore since it wanted me to present the password.

When I created the Disk Backup Set I had selected the Password Only-No Encryption option with the "Remember Password for Scipted Access" option. So, when my nightly scripts ran then everything was great. But, when I tried to do a manual Restore for a lost directory, it prompted me for the password which I no longer remembered.

The correct was to get "around" this is to...

1) Open the Configure-->Backup Sets window

2) Select the Backup Set and click Properties

3) Then, on the Options tab, change the Password: from "Save for scipted access" to "Save for any access"

So, what this did was "unlock" the Backup Set without having to know the password. True, I never did learn the password using this method, but I DID get the data and can at least copy the backup set to another one with a known password if I wanted to.

Also, it seems that I could have written a script to do a Transfer Backup Set, but this was easier.

Bottom Line: If you have a backup set with a password that you forgot, and it was set to "Save for scripted access" you can change that to "Save for any access" without giving the password.

Works for me!

rws

Archived