Library & Tape Drive seen as 2 separate items

This is a new install of Single Server V7.5 on a Windows 2003 server. Retrospect sees the tape drive (Quantum DLT8000) and the Library (HP C6280-8000) as two separate items in Configure->Devices->Status. In Environment, the Library is 0.6.0 and the Drive is 0.7.0.

All the tapes (all brand new) show as unknown. I can't scan, erase, or anything. The buttons show up, but when pressed do nothing.

When I try to add to backup set, I get error -213, device busy (which isn't even listed in the Users Guide).

I've read about 40 pages of this forum and have tried everything I've found. The views are identical with either NT Passthrough or ASPI. I've enabled/disabled the Windows drivers to no avail. The Removeable Storage Manager service is not running. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful.

• 6 months later...

(correction)

Having the same problem. New Tandberg Magnum 224 LTO-3 Tape Autoloader (fiber channel) connected to IBM x3550 box running Windows Server 2003 SP2 (Standard Edition).

That the tape drive and Library show up as separate items is, I think, normal. The problem I'm wrestling with is that Retrospect keeps asking for a backup tape...despite the fact that there are 8 erased (and available) tapes in the library.

Is EMC monitoring this forum?

Thanks,

Don

Don Montalvo, NYC

Don, you seem to have hijacked another thread. Please post your question into a new thread.

Smidge, error -213 is a hardware error reported by the tape drive and not Retrospect itself.

Make sure the library is set to "random mode". Check the LCD on the library for specific errors. Turn off the library and computer. Turn it on again and see if things work better.

Turn on "tape alert" http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=7961&p=2 It uses industry standard error codes and might help with troubleshooting.