Client goes offline

waldorfm

We are experiencing some strange problems with several Windows2000 clients. For some reason the client appears no longer visible on the network, and this is because the Retrospect client service on the client computer has stopped. I read in some article that this can happen if there is a problem with the clients TCP/IP configuration. We are using DHCP, what could cause this problem. The client version is 5.15.

What version of the application? If you are using a recent version, you should update your clients to the latest version (currently 5.6).

Next, how long are you DHCP leases? If the lease is too short, this may be a problem.

Is the client service stopping? Or is it never starting?

Does this happen with all clients? If it's only a few, do they have anything in common?

I'm not using the most recent version, it's Retrospect for Mac 4.3. But the problem is on the client site, even for clients which are waiting for first access. It was something noted by our Network department since I told them that for some reason I don't see all clients in the network window. We found out that for some reason the Retrospect client (5.15) service was stopped on the windows 2000 side. So the fix was to either restart the service or restart the computer. Our DHCP lease time is 8 days (default). I just don't know why the client service would stop itself. It's not happening with all clients, only with a few. They all run the same OS and mostly using the same equipment.

You should update to the latest client for Windows from:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=upgrades_win#CLIENTS

Do other services stop?

When the services stop, are you able to ping the machine?

Have you tried disabling any other 3rd-party services to test for a conflict?

Have you reinstalled the client software?

Are there any patterns as to when this happens, or in the computers to which it happens?

Archived