Still hazy on Intel MacOSX Server Compatibility...

I looked at the compatibility notice and it says Restrospect is not compatible with MacOS X 10.4.7 Server on Intel.

However, I am still confused. Does this mean the program is not compatible with *all* versions of OS X Server on Intel, or *just* 10.4.7? I would like to use it on a 10.4.8 machine (and we could update it to 10.4.9 if necessary).

We need to come up with a backup solution for this server asap, and we have been longtime Retrospect users but this compatibility issue is definitely worrisome.

Thanks,

James

Quote:

I looked at the compatibility notice and it says Restrospect is not compatible with MacOS X 10.4.7 Server on Intel.

Where, specifically, did you see that notice?

There was a defect in OS X before 10.4.9 that resulted in Retrospect crashing when attempting to backup Access Control Lists. Since ACL is enabled by default on OS X Server, that is likely why the notice was written (although the bug would be apparent on the Desktop version of OS X if ACLs were enabled via the terminal).

According to a post here on the Forum from Robin at EMC, the bug was fixed in 10.4.9 and no longer causes Retrospect to crash.

Dave

Quote:

TITLE: Retrospect 6.1 for Macintosh supports Apple's new Intel-based computers running Mac OS X

http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/kb/faq/viewArticle.asp?qid=155&aid=8322

Last paragraph:

Quote:

* 10.4.7 Server (Universal) is not compatible with Retrospect. Backups will fail during the scanning phase. We are working closely with Apple to find a solution to this problem. Join the Mac Intel Support mailing list (link is above) to be updated when this issue has been resolved.

Makes no mention of 10.4.8 or 10.4.9, or whether the problem still exists. Hence the reason for my post. Like many others I am sure, I searched the Knowledgebase before I waded into the depths of the forums. I have no idea who Robin is or where his post on the subject is.

James

Quote:

TITLE: Retrospect 6.1 for Macintosh supports Apple's new Intel-based computers running Mac OS X

The correct URL for the article referenced would be:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=8322&p=2

The article was last reviewed on 11/6/2006, long before the 10.4.9 update.

Notable to me is the line:

"The current version of Retrospect for Macintosh uses the Rosetta translation for compatibility with the Intel Macs. We do plan to release a Universal Binary version of Retrospect in the future. "

This the first actual notice of a future version plan that I've ever seen (but perhaps I just don't read enough KB articles). Still, perhaps it's time for this article to be "reviewed" again, given the change in status that occured shortly after that date.

Quote:

Quote:

Last paragraph:

Quote:

* 10.4.7 Server (Universal) is not compatible with Retrospect. Backups will fail during the scanning phase. We are working closely with Apple to find a solution to this problem. Join the Mac Intel Support mailing list (link is above) to be updated when this issue has been resolved.

Makes no mention of 10.4.8 or 10.4.9, or whether the problem still exists. Hence the reason for my post. Like many others I am sure, I searched the Knowledgebase before I waded into the depths of the forums. I have no idea who Robin is or where his post on the subject is.

James,

I think there is a little confusion here caused by somewhat-conflicting (and outdated) information.

The KnowledgeBase article that you reference was created when people started noticing crashes with Intel Macs and Retrospect. Further investigation by EMC revealed that the problem was limited to ACLs being enabled on a volume on an Intel Mac running Retrospect (client or server) using Mac OS (client or server) 10.4.7 or 10.4.8. It was caused by a bug introduced by Apple in those OS releases, and was fixed in Mac OS (client and server) 10.4.9. By default, ACLs are turned on for Mac OS 10.4.x server and are turned off for Mac OS 10.4.x non-server (but they can be turned on, if you know how, for Mac OS 10.4.x non-server).

EMC created a special hacked version of Retrospect (6.1.130) for use on Intel Macs running Mac OS 10.4.7 or 10.4.8 with ACLs turned on, and had a special preference checkbox to not back up ACL metadata (and thus avoid the crashing caused by the bug in the Mac OS). See:

Retrospect ACL hack

This bug in the Mac OS was fixed by Apple with the 10.4.9 (server and non-server) release, at which point it became possible to run the standard Retrospect 6.1.126 that backs up (some but perhaps not all?) ACL metadata.

Robin Mayoff is Senior Manager of Tech Support for Retrospect (click on his user name, see his profile). He has a thankless job right now, with a greatly-diminished staff, and is not responsible for the lack of updates for the product.

I hope this clears things up.

Russ

Archived