barcode query

We use the Mac Retrospect version, not the Windows version, but Retrospect seems to support whatever the autoloader has as its standard. We have gotten good results, reasonable prices, and excellent service from Tri-Optic:

Tri-Optic

I think that's pretty much what everyone uses unless they do their own. The Tri-Optic catalog shows what types, etc., are supported by the various drives. Recommended.

Russ

thank you for replying buddy . but the problem is that we use lto tapes for taking data of raw video files which goes over 400gb & we cant compress that. so we need to check the character lenght of the barcode . so you have any idea of it???

systems-

tandberg t40 autoloader

windows XP os clients

SAN storage

mac systems

all connected with FC.

regards

pritam

Quote:

but the problem is that we use lto tapes for taking data of raw video files which goes over 400gb & we cant compress that. so we need to check the character lenght of the barcode

The Tandberg T40 supports LTO2 and LTO3 tapes. The length of the barcode has nothing to do with the type of data that you are recording, the amount of the data that you are recording, or whether the data is compressed or not. Now, you may want to record the entire Library of Congress on a barcode, but industry standards don't permit such a length.

What matters is what the Tandberg T40's barcode reader supports, but the specs on the Tandberg web site don't say what the limits of that barcode reader are:

Tandberg T40 autoloader

The Tri-Optic web site for which I provided a link shows that LTO3 tapes have 6 characters plus an L3 identifier to distinguish LTO, LTO2, LTO3, etc. There are also some oddball 8 character barcodes without the L3 identifier, but I don't know whether the Tandberg barcode reader supports that oddball format.

Retrospect certainly supports at least 8 characters for barcode length because we use 8 character barcodes on our VXA-2 tapes.

I again suggest that you look at the Tri-Optic web site to see what is available. Tri-Optic is the standard barcode supplier for the industry. And you first might want to call Tandberg to see what their barcode reader supports.

Russ

Quote:

I believe this is also the Max length in the SCSI Specs.

Yes, the max length for the Primary Volume Tag Identification field returned by the Request Volume Element Address command (i.e., get barcode info) is 36 bytes. Thanks for letting us know that Retrospect supports this full length.

But I believe that the poster's question can only be answered by querying Tandberg for how much data the Tandberg T40's barcode reader supports and can return.

Russ