Missing files and Duplicate

Upon discovering many files missing on the duplicated disk, I did extensive reviews of the knowledge base. It appears that Dantz has a built-in, un-override-able "feature" of not backing up critical Windows system areas like:

a) the active registry in c:\windows\system32\config\, and

B) the backup registry copies in c:\System Volume Information\_restore*\

These directories are not selected with the "All Files" selector nor can they be overridden and selected manually either. As a result, you cannot duplicate the COMPLETE DISK CONTENTS to a shadow drive as a poor-mans mirror (poor-man as mirroring is built into XP Professional Server). The knowledge base does state that the active registry is not duplicated but is stored in a special area of a fileset-based backup; although it cannot be specifically selected for restore from there.

Does anyone have a complete list of files not being copied on Windows and / or Mac systems during a duplicate and/or fileset backup? Has anyone found a workaround to getting around the missing files so a complete disaster recovery is possible?

Claiming you can disaster recover using "duplicate" without providing these missing files is quite misleading. By following the instructions to install the OS (twice I might add as per the knowledge base notes) and then restoring the duplicate disk or backup fileset onto the restored OS -- you still do not get many critical settings in the registry, at minimum. You need the current registry with the content from all the installed applications to be truly recovered. If the registry or its backups are not saved, the registry cannot be recreated by reinstalling the OS without also having to reinstall and configure every single application. This is a definite false sense of security that a recoverable backup has occurred.

Doing disaster recovery by requiring a dual install of windows and then restoring from a backup fileset is a horrible solution for disaster recovery of failed or virus-wiped disks. It takes hours to reinstall the OS and days to likely never-possible to re-install all the applications and settings. At least with Norton Ghost or similar tools that require a reboot to backup (as they run in DOS) you create a completely bootable, duplicate drive which can be recovered and used in minutes.

Has anyone had experience with disaster recovery with the Dantz product (i.e. recovery after a real or simulated hard failure of a drive; or a virus-wiped drive)? Am I missing something because I have spent 4 days already trying to mimic such a disaster and get a full recovery (something I always do with backup solutions as it is better to determine if they work before you need them too!)

By default the Registry based files (including files like ntuser.dat) are not copied with the duplicate operation. Desktop and higher users need to go into the preferences of the duplicate and turn on "System State".

This will then duplicate:

Registry

Com+

Active Directory

Certificate Services

IIS Metabase

WMI Repository

You would also need to turn on the option to include NTFS permissions.

I get it now, it is a cost issue.

I am on trial with Workgroup on an ME machine and have had to install more than a client (I installed Express) on the XP machines so I could perform the duplicate function on them. Going back to the server Workgroup copy, I see the SYSTEM STATE options available (which do not appear in the Express copy). So what you are telling me is I have to buy Desktop (or greater) for every machine to get a simple local "duplicate" feature.

Independent of cost though, I feel this is false advertising on the product and the limitations should be more clearly labeled in the documentation and feature listings for each product. Making statements like the below in the Express product literature:

"When disaster strikes, recover lost work in minutes by restoring a single file or an entire hard disk in one easy step. ....

..., Retrospect Express Backup provides 100% reliable backups, ease-of-use, and flawless restores.

Disaster recovery feature makes complete restores simple even after total hard drive failure or replacement "

-- such statements do not apply if you use the duplicate feature. It is also not "one easy step" to recover an entire hard disk with the "Backup" feature (especially given you have to make an ISO disaster recovery CD often and in addition to the scheduled backups).

Statements from the knowledge base:

"Can I duplicate from my startup drive C: to an extra drive D:, and then boot from my D: drive if my C: drive fails?

Yes, you can do this, provided that your computer can boot from the drive that you want to duplicate to. In other words, if you have an extra ATAPI drive installed in your system, and your system normally boots from an ATAPI drive, then you should be able to duplicate to your spare drive, and swap drives in case of disaster. If, on the other hand, your spare drive is an IEEE 1394/FireWire drive, and your computer will not boot from a 1394 drive, then you cannot expect to be able to boot from your spare drive if your main drive goes down. Your spare drive is a valid backup in this case, it simply won't be bootable.

What you have to do to make your D: drive bootable depends upon the OS.

If you are running under Windows 95 or 98, then when your C: drive fails, remove it, and set the D: drive to be the new startup drive, set to drive letter C:. Boot from your 9x floppy, and run fdisk to set the new C: partition as active. Be careful not to format it; just set it active. Now at a DOS command prompt, use the sys command to make the new drive bootable. You should now be able to boot from it.

If you are running under NT, 2000, or XP, then when your C: drive fails, remove it, and set the D: drive to be the new startup drive, set to drive letter C:. Boot from your NT4 repair floppies (NT4), or the 2000 or XP installation CD, and repair the system. The repair process simply makes the drive bootable; nothing else needs repairing. You should now be able to run normally from what was your backup drive."

These statements are clearly not true. You need to be more forthcoming of limitations of various versions as well as clearer about the Duplicate (and in some cases Backup) feature in that it does NOT include ALL files as it states and implies in the program and documentation.

And I have not even began to quote the manual, readme's, etc. that come with the product.

I guess I should be glad you offerred the trial period to determine this all out. But after spending 6 full days of time on this to only discover it does not do what it says -- this was a large waste of my precious time and resources. Now I know why my IT syadmin's have never heard of or used your product.

BTW, using Workgroup and doing a full duplicate with all system state -- this still did not create a working OS and application disk copy from the original. The disk will not boot off itself (likely an XP issue) or from a bootable "XP" floppy. I am in the process of doing a wipe (of a good and clean disk previously), reformat, and bare-install of XP (takes 5-6 hours) after which I will try both a restore via Duplicate from the original disk AND a restore via disaster recovery from the "backup" file set on the original disk. I hope one of these two works for XP otherwise the confidence in doing other than single file, simple restores is gone. (BTW, it works as stated and like a charm on ME. Still have to try a disaster recovery test on the Mac but likely will not get to it before the trial and my patience runs out.)

Archived