UJ-85J (in MacBook Pro, iMac) still unsupported after 6 months

I'M REALLY PISSED !!!

What's so difficult to finally publish a new driver for ten thousends of current MacBooks Pro and iMacs (and other Macs ?).

Since 6 months NOTHING happend - no driver, no statement, no schedule

Just tell us that you aren't interested in loyal Mac customers anymore and we'll be gone - forever.

I can understand your frustration. These days, most people do not use CD/DVD drives as backup devices. They are slow, not very reliable and require users to swap media when low capacity disks fill up.

Most people backup to external hard disk drives. It is fast, easy and all hard disks are supported.

Hardware:

Machine Name: iMac with 24" display

Machine Model: iMac6,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

Memory: 2 GB

System Disk: 500 GB

CD/DVD Model: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-85J

Software:

Mac OS X 10.4.8

Retrospect 6.1.126

Retrospect Driver 6.1.9.102

Basic disaster recovery procedures require that one copy of a recent backup should ALWAYS be kept in a location separate from computer location site. To reinforce that concept in my mind, a neighbors house recently burned down. The house and its contents were almost a total loss (it was hot - the metal bed-frame melted). To keep a backup copy offsite I need to either burn DVDs or backup to an external disk and store that disk in a safe location (preferably offsite). Since December 2006, when we purchased our new iMac 24" system I have been backing up the 500 GB system disk to an external firewire disk. After backup I disconnect the external disk and store it in a fireproof safe in the other end of the house. The firewire connections to the disk are now starting to wear out due to all the connecting and disconnecting of the firewire cable and I will almost certainly need to replace the firewire cable or the firewire connector in the external disk. These connectors were not intended to be connected and disconnected several times a week. They wear out.

I believe there is still a need for periodic backup to DVD.

Yes, I followed the EMC Retrospect Knowledgebase article's instructions on how to configure a CD or DVD. It resulted in Retrospect 6.1 software submitting an error report to EMC. I tried configuring both a CD and DVD. Neither one would configure. I have been using this same TDK CD-R and TDK CVD-R media for several years without problems. This is what happened during the configuration process:

I went through to configuration process and got down to the last clicking of the "Configure" buttons. Then a window appeared that displayed the following text:

"CD/DVD Custom Configuration in Progress...

Checking writing method..."

I did not touch the computer for over three hours to give the process plenty of undisturbed time to configure the DVD. Only after three hours later when I tried to execute Safari did this new display SUDDENLY appear on the screen (Why the delay? Why was the execution of another application necessary to trigger the display of the following error message?):

"Retrospect was unable to configure this drive with the inserted DVD-R media.

Would you like to try again with a different disc or media type (e.g. CD-R, DVD+R)?" (No and Yes buttons were included)

Well, I tried to configure a CD-R with exactly the same results.

I know this UJ-85J drive works because we use it for drag and drop backups, iDVD and iPhoto backups.

PLEASE provide a driver for Mac OS X 10.4.8. (Tiger). PLEASE don't wait for the rollout of 10.5 (Leopard) to provide a new driver. Most experienced users will not update to Leopard until after the 1st updated version is issued. Many users will be running Tiger until at least September or October of 2007.

Me - I an retired with 35 years experience as a software engineer including operating system development. I know better that to be the one of the first users of a new release of an operating system. I will let others experience the problems inherent in the first version. I have been a Retrospect user for many years on many Macintosh home computers. It's an elegant piece of backup software and deserves better support from EMC.

Quote:

I know this UJ-85J drive works because we use it for drag and drop backups, iDVD and iPhoto backups.

No, you know that it works for the finder, iDVD, and iPhoto. They do not use "packet writing" to burn the DVD like Retrospect does so that it can append to backup sets. I don't know whether the problem is that EMC/Retrospect doesn't have the resources to develop a "packet writing" driver for this DVD or whether there are some difficulties with this drive that are making a "packet writing" driver difficult or impossible.

Quote:

I an retired with 35 years experience as a software engineer including operating system development.

Then you should understand the difficulty writing drivers for hardware that you didn't design or spec, and you also understand priorities in software development. I've written a few dozen, and I've also had to respect priorities that were set by others. See:

Retrospect packet writing KB article

Russ

Quote:

After backup I disconnect the external disk and store it in a fireproof safe in the other end of the house.

Magnetic information is scrambled at a much lower temperture then it takes for paper to burn. So unless the safe is rated for data, you might end up with an unreadable hard drive if there's a fire.

• 4 months later...

The fact that 'most people' (like to know where you get your information from as 'most people' I know back up or archive to DVD or CD) do not use DVD or CD to back up, shouldnt be the point. You should not be dictating to people what device to back up to. Please get this fixed.

If we could buy a Mac and know exactly what drive would be included in it, this might be an option. We have tried it. In one case we purchased 2 different identical model macs in the exact same order. Each Mac that arrived used a different drive, both of which we already supported. So buying Macs to support the drive might seem like an easy idea, but in reality it isn't.

Our trip was helpful, and our next driver update will add several more of the Apple internal devices, and I am sure in a few weeks Apple will ship yet another drive that we have never seen before.

As always, I suggest backup to hard disk for the easiest, cheapest and most reliable backup solution.

Hi: I was directed to this forum from another ( Re: LaCie d2 DVD with Lightscribe: Worked on G4, but not MacBook Pro) where, although I was given some great troubleshooting advice, I still have problems using Retrospect on both of my CD/DVD drives. One of the forum participants thought it might help if I added my two cents before you made your trip to Apple, but it appears I'm too late! Here's what I'm working with

iMac 20"

2 GHz Intel Core Duo

1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Mac OS 10.4.10

Retrospect 6.1.126

Device Access 1.0.107

Driver Update 6.1.1.101

Internal:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-846:

Firmware Revision: FB2U

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)

Cache: 2048 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL

Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes

Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO

Media: No

External: LaCie d2 Lightscribe Writemaster

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M:

Firmware Revision: LA00

Interconnect: FireWire

Burn Support: Yes (Vendor Supported)

Profile Path: /Library/DiscRecording/DeviceProfiles/LaCie.drprofile

Cache: 2048 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL

Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes

Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media: No

I have configured both drives for both CD and DVD but when I start my regular backup (which I have been doing successfully on many Macs over the past 8 years), I can backup to CD but when I use DVD (both +R and -R) I get an error message: Device trouble: "1-2007 Backup..." error 100 (device rejected command).

I bought the external DVD burner JUST to use Retrospect for backup to DVD (and yes, some of us prefer this to an external hard drive, it's true!) and if I'm not mistaken, this drive is on the suppported hardware list, although the mechanism inside is not. It's great that you support the plastic shell my DVD burner came in. There should be full disclosure, by Mac, LaCie and the rest of the manufacturers, of exactly who made the internal drives, because I have two perfectly good devices that don't work with Retrospect.

Am I doing something wrong? Have I missed a driver update? Any ideas out there? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Quote:

Any new word on the new driver release?

If you are asking about support for the UJ-85J, there was an RDU update (RDU 6.1.12.101) a couple of weeks back that says, in the release notes, that it added support for the UJ-85J. You might give it a try. The RDU version history, with downloadable copies of each RDU, is here:

RDU version history

Enjoy.

Russ

The RDU update (RDU 6.1.12.101) still doesnt work with my MacBook Pro internal DVD drive or my external LaCie d2 DVD-RW. I cant even configure them without it crashing.

Please get this fixed so I can access ALL my existing archives as well creating new archives.

Thanks

PS. Please dont tell me to back up to a hard drive, have heard it all before and had drives fail once to often.