Hi,

I have heard rumors that the ACL crash issue isn't happening with 10.4.9. If you are running a configuration that would crash without the special version of Retrospect, you may want to try a backup again with the Don't backup ACL option turned off and see if it works for you.

Robin, as I understand it:

(1) The issue is only on the computer running Retrospect, not the computer running Retrospect client, correct?

(2) The issue only occurs on an Intel Mac with ACLs turned on for a volume that is being backed up, correct?

We know that, by default, ACLs are turned on for Mac OS X Server (10.4) and are turned off for Mac OS X non-server (10.4). So, unless someone has turned ACLs on for a non-server computer, it's just an issue for Retrospect running on Mac OS X Server 10.4.x

The problem is that Mac OS X 10.4.9 Server seems to have introduced an unrelated bug, not present in 10.4.8 or its predecessors, that prevents Mac OS 9 (Classic) clients from writing files over a certain size to a Mac OS 10.4.9 server's share - if that happens, the share becomes unmounted on the client. For those of us who have a couple of Mac Classic clients on our network for that oddball legacy program that won't run on Mac OS X, 10.4.9 is not an option for the server running Retrospect. So people should update with caution if they have any Classic clients. And there are some issues with the mail subsystem if you have manually updated amavisd, SpamAssassin, and ClamAV (Apple's updates, even in 10.4.9, are almost a year old versions, and the update can hose an updated mail system). ClamAV 90.x is completely incompatible with the year old ClamAV in 10.4.9.

Retrospect client seems to work OK though on the 10.4.9 client imacs that we have updated.

Simply FYI. Update a production server with caution, after a thorough test on a testbed. But that's standard practice, anyway.

Russ

Quote:

Yes, the Intel Mac client running with ACL's can see 519 errors and crashes during scanning from the BU server.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I hadn't seen any posting to this effect when the subject of ACLs on Intel was discussed previously, and the KnowledgeBase workaround that has been provided is only for Retrospect, not Retrospect Client:

Retrospect ACL hack

The knowledgebase article does not provide a patched client, and does not mention that there is a problem with Retrospect Client.

I'd suggest either updating the KnowledgeBase article to indicate that there presently is no workaround for a Retrospect client machine other than disabling ACLs on the clinet machine, or providing a patched version of the Retrospect client that also can ignore ACL info.

Russ

Quote:

The client does not need patching, you just use an application with the no ACL option turned on.

Understood, but this seems contrary to your post above:

Quote:

Yes,
the Intel Mac client running with ACL's
can see 519 errors and
crashes
during scanning from the BU server.

If your most recent post is correct, then I do not understand how a crashing client would not need patching. Regardless, I would suggest that the KB article be updated to clarify.

russ

The client crashes because the backup server is attempting to access the client with ACLs turned on. The problem happens not because of the client software but because the backup server is attempting to access a client with ACL's. No fix will ever exist at the client level. The backup of ACLs is controlled by the server.

The long term fix is to update to 10.4.9 on the computer with ACLs since Apple's bug cause the problem to begin with.

Quote:

The long term fix is to update to 10.4.9 on the computer with ACLs

Robin, your initial post in this thread suggested that it was only rumor that the bug was fixed in 10.4.9.

Does this mean that there is confirmation that Apple fixed it with this last Tiger release?

Dave

Quote:

Amy did a test and she could not reproduce the issue with 10.4.9

Great! I assume she tested both the 10.4.9 non-server and server updates, correct?

I suggest that you update the KB article to state that a solution is to update to 10.4.9. Apple's release notes are, shall we say, cryptic and don't mention this:

About 10.4.9 Update (delta)

About 10.4.9 Server Update (delta)

Russ

Archived