rdu27 install

DaveF

I downloaded the driver update rdu27.exe and put it in my Retrospect folder but it does not "automatically install" as Dantz says it will. The log showed version 2.3.125 before and after I had started Retrospect Express. If I double click on the rdu .exe file, an unzip prompt appears. I hesitated to unzip as then I still would not know what to do. Come on Dantz. Please give me some accurate guidance.

Thank you. I apparently got the driver update installed (nothing like Dantz says in their "how to") but Now I Have Real Problems!!! I no longer can open Retrospect Express (5.6). After moving the rdu.rpx file to the Retrospect folder, I could see the new version listed in the log file. However, the log file looked "strange." It had yesterday's date (Feb 27) and nothing at all about past sessions. Then later I noticed the icon on my desktop, which I had used to start Express, also looked strange. The icon had changed and its properties refers to "C:\Program Files\Dantz\Retrospect\pcpds.exe", which isn't the program file. There is no longer an application file which would start Express (I don't remember the name) in my Retrospect folder. So at this point, if I had to do a restore I could not (I cannot access anything useful).

What do you suggest? Should I use the Retrospect 5.6 Update CD (I had made a copy) and reinstall it, leaving everything as is on my drive?

A very sad thing about this mess is the driver update will probably never be of use to me. I cannot believe nobody else has had trouble with it, nor can I imagine why Dantz did not properly say how to install it, as you did.

Many thanks for your assistance. Dave

Hi. Well, I have Express running again. Thankfully, I was able to select "repair" from the 5.6 update installer and did not have to remove my original files.

I don't want to "beat this horse to death," but a couple more questions, please. The Retrospect log file now shows I am back to my original 2.3.125 driver set (I had, thanks to your help, installed the 2.7 drivers) and I may just leave it at that. The only reason I installed the driver update is that I *may* have to install some new hardware one day (heaven forbid). Do you know of any other advantage to installing the 2.7 drivers? Also, when I unzipped the 2.7 files, that created a new folder in Retrospect for the update files and that folder is still there. It does seem to me that folder would have been automatically deleted, assuming the program installed it's various files elsewhere, such as Windows/System (and they may still be there. I have no way of knowing). I assume I can safely delete that folder, since I no longer have the 2.7 files I installed yesterday, Feb. 26 (BTW, I can't believe how I referred to yesterday's date as Feb. 27 in my previous post).

I am glad you are here. You have been very helpful. Thank you. Dave

Archived