Dual Boot XP/ME Disaster Recovery

Hello,

Sorry for the long question, and I would really appreciate the assistance.

I have a dual-boot XP/ME system with Retrospect 5.6. All works fine. I backup to an external 40GB Maxtor FAT32 Disk Drive. My XP partition is NTSF and my ME partition is FAT32. Backups of both the NTSF and the FAT32 partition execute successfully to the Maxtor external FAT 32 disk.

My first question: Am I OK with backing up the WIN XP NTSF partition onto the FAT32 Maxtor Drive?

My MAIN QUESTION: I am now ready to create a disaster recovery CDR. Should I create the CDR based on the FAT32 Win ME volume or both the NTSF WIN XP and the FAT32 Win ME volumes? If both, then which CDR should I load first during disaster recovery? (Both the FAT32 and the NTSF partitions start inside the 1024 cylinder limit and inside the 8 GB boundary. But I created the dual boot system starting from Win ME (It is on C-Drive Primary Partition) ...Ran Partition Magic to create an I-Drive NTSF Primary partition and did a new install of XP into the NTSF partition.) Partitions D and E are FAT32 document-only partitions so they are not involved with disaster recovery as I could use existing file backups to restore them.)

My FINAL QUESTION: The Win ME primary partition (C-Drive) exceeds 700 MB, so I need more than 1 CDR to completely back up the Win ME system. Ditto for the WIN XP partition. Which CDR do I use for disaster recovery and must I also have a disaster recovery for WIN XP?

If when creating the DR cd it says not enough room, then you must see what is in the root of your main drive. There must be some large files that are in there that it is trying to add.

Turn off GoBack if you have it installed.

Turn off System restore....

See if this helps.

Archived