Net traffic backing up to a NAS box

toosubtle

I'm backing up my machines to a NAS box through Retrospect. Watching net traffic, it looks like everything gets sent through the net twice: once from the client to the Retrospect controller, and once from the Retrospect controller to the NAS box. Any way to get the clients to send directly to the NAS box?

Since I do a bunch of video work, it's not uncommon to have to push hundreds of gigs around (or my big machine which has 1Tb of data that I'm waiting to solve this problem on before I start running it through Retrospect).

Thanks!

Hi Rob,

Quote:

I'm backing up my machines to a NAS box through Retrospect. Watching net traffic, it looks like everything gets sent through the net twice: once from the client to the Retrospect controller, and once from the Retrospect controller to the NAS box. Any way to get the clients to send directly to the NAS box?

Unfortunately, no. The client is basically a dumb application, all processing of the data is done on the Retrospect server, and whatever data is handled by Retrospect will need to pass through the Retrospect server.

If the pipes are big (GigE, 10GigE), it would be a "don't care". But you could also use a solution of running Retrospect on each of the "client" machines to do a no-client backup to the NAS. Would make centralized management of the backups difficult, but it would prevent double traversal of the data over the network.

Or you could make the storage not be NAS but instead be local storage on the Retrospect server.

Russ