Express HD 2.0 issues

Mr Hyde

Hi. I'm new here. this is my first post.

I just installed Express HD 2.0 on my computer. I have a few comments and questions.

1. Is there a way to keep the program from loading at startup? I dont want to run automatic backups and would prefer to do them manually. I know I can turn off the auto function but the Icon loads in the system tray when I start my computer. I would prefer for it not to do this.

2. When I open Express HD 2.0 it works fine. I currently have it set to only backup my My Documents folder, my internet favorites folder, my MS Outlook Express address book and the Outlook Express profile/email database. These files back up to a USB connected external HDD. The problem is once I shut down the program it takes quite a long time to restart it. Each restart of the program takes longer than the last. Can this be corrected? If I restart my computer it restarts normally.

3.. I know this is a recent release but why is there no email tech support? The software seems to perform normally (except with the above noted issue) but why is there no support for this software besides this forum?

4. Is this forum moderated by someone from the company?

I guess that's it for now.

I'll wait for some replies.

Quote:

Hi. I'm new here. this is my first post.

Welcome to the forums.

Quote:

3.. I know this is a recent release but why is there no email tech support? The software seems to perform normally (except with the above noted issue) but why is there no support for this software besides this forum?

You are misinformed. There is a period of free support, and your choice of per-incident or support maintenace agreements after that. See:

EMC Support offerings

If you have a support maintenance agreement, there is email support. We have been very pleased with the email support we have received under our support agreement, and we consider it well worth the rather nominal cost.

Quote:

4. Is this forum moderated by someone from the company?

Some EMC tech support people (notably, Robin Mayoff, Tech Support Manager) moderate these forums. However, this is user-to-user support. We are users just like you. These forums are not the way to contact EMC support. Here's the contact information for EMC Support:

EMC Support Contact Info

Hope this helps,

Russ

The software will always load at startup and appear on the system tray.

I have not heard other reports of the slow startup when manually opened.

Try turning off XP System Restore. That part of the OS tends to hold onto backup disks and other disks, which sometimes causes slowdowns.

How much RAM do you have?

Quote:

The software will always load at startup and appear on the system tray.

I have not heard other reports of the slow startup when manually opened.

Try turning off XP System Restore. That part of the OS tends to hold onto backup disks and other disks, which sometimes causes slowdowns.

How much RAM do you have?

I'll try turning off system restore although I dont know why I should have to do this.

I have 2gb of system ram.

About the slow startup. The first time I open the program via the tray icon it opens almost instantly. The second time it takes over a minute. The third time is longer.

Do you have any other external devices besides the USB HD attached to the system? Also, you may want to check your activity monitor when you manually open up Retro to see if it is using a lot of resources when opened. When you said it opens 'slow', do you mean in a few seconds slower or does it take minutes?

Quote:

Do you have any other external devices besides the USB HD attached to the system? Also, you may want to check your activity monitor when you manually open up Retro to see if it is using a lot of resources when opened. When you said it opens 'slow', do you mean in a few seconds slower or does it take minutes?

My issue has seemed to resolve itself. Everything seems to be working normally now.

Just to answer your question as a point of fact, When I was experiencing the problem it was taking several minutes for the program to load. Each time it was shut down and reloaded it took a few MINUTES longer.

I just shut down and reopened the application about 20 times in a row and it opens pretty speedily each time.

thanks for the help everyone

Archived