Error 100, Retrospect won't backup to LaCie d2 DVD +/- RW

I hope someone can help. Retrospect will not work with my new LaCie d2 DVD +/- RW recorder. Details:

EMC Retrospect 6.1 with RDU Driver Update 6.1.8.101.

Mac OS X 10.4.8

LaCie d2 DVD +/- RW FireWire + USB (connected via FireWire). Ran installer from website "LaCieUpdateTool.dmg" and re-ran and it says "firmware is already at 1.02a".

Disks: DVD -R, tried both Verbatim and Memorex brands, same symptoms.

Symptoms:

- Retrospect does not see the drive at all. If I run their "Configure" operation, it sees the drive. But when Retrospect is about to record, an error comes up: "Device Trouble: error 100 (device rejected command)"

- Completely repeatable, happens with both brands of DVD blank.

- Using Finder, I can burn a DVD.

Any ideas?

I talked to the company that sold me the drive, smalldog.com. While this question is understandably outside their expertise, they did have a number for Retrospect support (not on EMC's website as far as I can tell!). LaCie's support line is 1-503-844-4503; EMC Retrospect support is 866-362-1111.

To my surprise (given what I have read here and elsewhere(, EMC was very helpful. The LaCie drives use many internals and the one that is used in the unit I bought (TSST CD/DVDW SH-S162L) is in testing and likely will be supported by the next RDU (Retrospect Driver Update).

hi moe,

Quote:

they did have a number for Retrospect support (not on EMC's website as far as I can tell!).

http://emcinsignia.com/supportupdates/service/contact/

Quote:

To my surprise given what I have read here and elsewhere(, EMC was very helpful.

in my experience it is mostly those who don't call that find EMC Insignia Technical Support unhelpful.

cheers.

• 1 month later...

Same thing as Moe here. Same LaCie DVD brand new drive, which happens to work perfectly from the Finder (including burning of video DVDs, both DVD-R and DVD+R DL, from Toast and from iDVD).

The strange thing is that last Friday everything went well (with another backup set, also a DVD), burn successful. Today Retrospect started well a Normal Backup by appending data to "Disc-1", then it asked for a second DVD, and since that moment it refused any single DVD I inserted (Philips DVD-R and Verbatim DVD-R).

For experiment's sake I wasted 4 DVDs one after the other, then gave up. Before breaking the last one I even tried to re-configure the DVD drive, Retrospect did it successfully but nothing changed.

So no panic, I'll wait for the RDU update, I see that the custom configuration here can't solve all the glitches.

Until then I'll use Retrospect for back-up on my external HD drive, like I've done for almost 2 years.

Internal: TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S162L. Firmware: LC02.

Retrospect 6.1.126, RDU 6.1.9.102.

• 1 month later...

2 months later I can say that I have probably solved the above described problem with Error 100, BUT I have met a new one.

(setup: LaCie d2 DVD +/- RW DL

Internal: TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S162L. Firmware: LC02.

Retrospect 6.1.126, RDU 6.1.9.102)

Today I have gone through a new web search and I have found out something here:

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2313/page/1/fpart/all/vc/1/nt/4

(post #72961)

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showf...=true#Post93328

(post #93693)

http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/index.asp...ch&search=1

It seems that Retrospect likes DVD+R media more than DVD-R (which are definitely different). At least this must be true when backing up to a LaCie d2 DVD +/- RW FireWire + USB (not supported natively by Retrospect but functioning after successfully configuring it with Retrospect's utility).

After some thorough testing I can say that today Retrospect hasn't rejected any single disk grin.gif (I've tried DVD+R by TDK), while last time I made several coasters using Verbatim's DVD-R.

Two months ago when copying from the netwrok on a DVD-R disk I got about 17 MB/minute, while today I've got about sometimes 100 but also 224 (!) MB/minute, also from the LAN! So it could really depend on the type of media.

Of course during the next weeks I'll back up again to DVD+R and will report what happens.

But while I have gone successfully until the end of my backup (with 2 backup sets), a new problem arose nevertheless. frown.gif

The total amount of data was about 5 GB, made of many files grouped in 4 backup scripts. I have backed them up to a backup set called "A", then to another one called "B", thus using 2 DVDs two times. To test them better I scrambled the order of the scripts.

Well, the result was the same in both cases: as soon as I inserted the second disk of the backup set, Retrospect stopped and said: "Trouble reading files, error 515 (Piton protocol violation)."

So the script stops, I relaunch it and it goes on like a charm. I have also verified the backup set and everything's fine.

The downside is not mcuh that the data written in the last session of the first disk are lost, but that this loss costs space.

E.g. my first 3 scripts had used 4.1 GB on the first disk, then the 4th script (about 800 MB) launches, writes about 300 MB, then asks for a new disk and immediately stops with error 515. So ok I relaunch the 4th script and it goes well, but I have lost 300 MB of space on disk 1. This is not good.

I know that Error 515 is related to a network problem:

http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=6361&r=0.2426416

and I have to say that since most data I back up come from the LAN I haven't tried to have Retrospect change the disk while it was copying data from the local computer.

But this is very strange anyway: how it's possible that this network error happens ONLY after a disk change? My Macs were all up and running, not sleeping, no heavy task was being performed, everything was quiet. As I said, a couple of minutes earlier I even got a copying speed of 224 MB/minute from the LAN.

Anybody got an idea?