External Pioneer DVR 107D

Hi,

My Dad was using Retrospect Express 6.0, but that crashes under 10.4.7. So tonight I upgraded him to Retrospect 6.1.126 and RDU 6.1.7.???....I think these were the versions. Whatever the lastest versions on the website are tonight.

Anyway, he was backing up to an OWC external DVD burner (1394a + USB2.0, using a Pioneer DVR 107D) with his PowerBook G4 (DVI / 800MHz). But now Retrospect Express 6.1 does not even see the drive there. Even though OS X seems to.....insert a CD in it and OS X mount the disk and opens iTunes. Insert a DVD-R and it opens iMovie. But Retrospect Express won't list it as a drive in its list of devices.

I am looking for a wat to update the 107D's firmware to 1.22 (...any one know where I can find a OS X firmware updater for this drive?). Should this help the situation?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Is this the OWC Mercury Pro or the OWC Neptune? Is it connected with firewire or USB? It should work unless you're using the Neptune with a USB connection. You may have already seen these, but here's the device support page:

http://emcinsignia.com/supportupdates/technical/retrospect/search/?q=107d

Also, make sure there are no attempts at custom configuration. If there are any files named "deviceXX.rdi" in /Library/Preferences/Retrospect, remove them while Retrospect is not running and then check devices again. There is no minimum firmware listed for the drive, so that shouldn't matter. Finally, are you positive you're using DVD- and not DVD+ media? All the devices list DVD- only as supported.

• 2 weeks later...

>>Is this the OWC Mercury Pro or the OWC Neptune?<<

I will have to see....

We are using a FireWire connection to the PowerBook.

>>If there are any files named "deviceXX.rdi" in /Library/Preferences/Retrospect, remove them while Retrospect is not running<<

Will do.

99.99% sure we are using DVR- media, but will confirm.

Thanks,

Jeff

Ok, I was out to my Dads house today and now 6.1 sees the external DVD drive. Have no idea why it wasn't working before.

So I start the backup process, go to the kitchen to have a hot dog for lunch with my parents. We then go back and check the computer.....it says "The disk is write protected" ! How can that happen?????

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~jeffny61/SCREENSHOT2.tiff

Determined to back up my Dads computer......

Jeff