Problem Restoring Windows Client

mweales

This is my first post so please don't yell if I do something wrong....

We have Retrospect Server Backup 5.6 running on Windows NT Server 4.0. Each client is a Dell OptiPlex running Windows 2000 with the Retrospect Client installed. The clients are backed up on a removable tape drive. We've been running backups for almost 2 years and this is the first time that we have had the need to restore an entire client.

I had a client hard drive crash; I replaced the hard drive and followed the RESTORING A WINDOWS CLIENT instructions from the manual along with the tech note I printed from the Dantz support site (Restoring a Dell after formatting or replacing the hard disk.).

When I reboot the PC under partition 2 I receive (which is the one from the backup):

Windows 2000 could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the Windows 2000 documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

When I rebooted the PC under partition 1 I receive (which is the one created with the reformat):

STOP: 0x00000050 error (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA).

I performed the process two times with the same result each time.

My boot.ini file read, prior to the hard drive failing, as:

[boot loader}

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

After hard drive replacement and reformat the boot.ini file read as:

[boot loader}

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

I tried both boot.ini file versions on boot up and neither work.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Hi

Is the partition structure _exactly_ they way it was when you ran the backup? NT does not handle changes like that very well so make sure it matches. It sounds to me like you created a new partition to run the restore from? can you let us know how you ran the restore in detail?

Thanks

Nate

Actually, the gentleman that replaced the hard drive is no longer here and I only got here 2 weeks ago, so I can't be positive that the partition does match what it was when it was backed up. Let me see if I can find out anything on that. Thanks.

Archived