Backup to Mac or PC

I'm backing up a mixed office of Macs and PCs. Retrospect can be installed on either a Mac or a PC. Is there a reason to choose one over the other? Are there any mixed platform compatibility problems to keep in mind? Do software updates and hardware support tend to be released for one platform first?

tia, Brad

There is an advantage. If you backup your PC from your MAC...then you do not get the registry or permissions etc.... of a 2000, NT or XP machine.

PCs can backup MACs without any issues.

I would recommend installing on the PC side of things.

• 2 weeks later...

I am surprised at this response to the original question since I recently used my Titanium Powerbook to back up a Windows 2000 Pro client, using the proeceedures in the OS X version manual of Retrospect workgroup, and I had no problem using the Mac to backup the PC and as long as reg copy was used. The only difficulty was joining the PC back to the domain but that was quite simple also. I had so many hardware issues and hard drive failures that I found the backup to be invaluable since I had to do restores several times. The Win 2k computer is working fine and the client is thrilled I didn't have to spend countless hours rebuilding the computer with applications each time. I tend to rely upon Mac's more then PC's though I do support both platforms for private clients. Retrospect has saved the day many times in cross platform environments and one platform environments.

Archived