519/no cnct to Windows 2000 client

pholzmann

I've got one client computer that absolutely _will not_ connect to retrospect. It works fine with all other software, and I was able to see it enough to set it up as a client.

However, any attempt to view/refresh it (Client->Properties->Refresh) causes a 519 error or worse as a visible result. The new 3.0 driver update does not help.

I've now done a lot of low level technical checking, and while the problem is still not solved, I have a few clues. I'm hoping someone can help me take this further.

1) When attempting a refresh, IP traffic *does* get through between the two machines. (Using low level tools from www.sysinternals.com to test -- these are GREAT tools!!!) However, the client machine is left in a state where the main retrospect client service (retroclient) is attempting to use 100% of CPU time forever. Nothing will stop this other than killing the service or a reboot.

2) After attempting a refresh (in 1 above), the Tools and Volumes tabs are non functional. If I use them BEFORE a refresh, they work fine.

3) I've tested to ensure no other application or process is interfering with communication. his machine has several behind the scenes services running that I don't see on some of our other machines. I've yet to complete fully testing these (ie checking to see if their presence is interfering), because I have no clue where some of them originate. The remaining services that need testing are:

mmc == MS Management Console

mspmpsv == MS WMDM PMSP service

packethsvc == NT Authority System

QUESTIONS:

a) Do you know what these are, could they be causing trouble, and how can I disable them.

B) Any other ideas of what I can do to work around this show-stopper problem?

At this point, our evaluation of the software is that it does not work at all on some machines, and is frail (easily loses its connection) on others. That would be awful -- there's so much I like about this that I *really* want to be able to recommend it to our many communities worldwide.

Thanks,

Pete

What version of the client software? Application?

Do you have anti-virus software or crash protection on the client? If so, test disabling these.

What OS is the server running?

Can you ping with no packet loss between the two?

What if you connect the two clients with a crossover cable? This can pinpoint if the problem lies in the network or in one other computers.

Have you reinstalled the client?

Are there any firewalls between the two? Any firewall software on the client?

Thanks,

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Thanks, Irena...

>What version of the client software? Application?

Latest: 5.6 with current updates

>Do you have anti-virus software or crash protection on the client? If so, test disabling these.

>Are there any firewalls between the two? Any firewall software on the client?

As I described, all applications are disabled, all optional startup items..., and I've been going through and disabling background services... so no antivirus, no firewall, no other "strange" stuff other than what I listed. [Hmmm... we *do* normally run McAfee ASaP antivirus, which hides itself rather well... so possibly there's a hidden service I haven't found yet. Will look around a bit.]

>What OS is the server running?

Also Win2k, SP2

>Can you ping with no packet loss between the two?

Yes, at full wire speed.

>What if you connect the two clients with a crossover cable? This can pinpoint if the problem lies in the network or in one other computers.

No change.

>Have you reinstalled the client?

Several times...

I wrote:

[Hmmm... we *do* normally run McAfee ASaP antivirus, which hides itself rather well... so possibly there's a hidden service I haven't found yet. Will look around a bit.]

Further testing: removing the antivirus service (myagtsvc) makes no difference. AND (fyi...) connections work great with another Windows 2000 client that's running ASaP Antivirus.

So, more ideas needed...

If you are running with a base Win 2000 install, and connecting via crossover cable, and you still get an error 519, try the following:

1. Check for updates for the Network Card you're using on the client.

2. Run disk utilities on the hard drive -- any and all that you have.

3. Defragment the hard drive.

4. Swap the network card in this machine with the NIC in a client you know to be functioning properly.

Archived