Storagetek L40

We have Retrospect Server 5.6 on a Windows 2000 SP2 Server. A Storagetek L40 autochanger with Quantum SDLT drive(s) is connected. Running the backup with the appropriately named media already in the drive is not a problem. When the system has to change tapes, Retrospect recognizes the tape it needs and the library moves the correct tape into the drive, after Retrospect loads the tape, it goes pending, then begins searching for another media. This search goes on indefinitely.

Storage Devices - Status shows the Drive as Pending... with the media as empty.

Restarting Retrospect (after stopping the script and the media search) shows the correct media in the drive as ready. Any ideas.

I am at the latest driver update. I have gone through about 3 hours of Dantz tech support and their next idea is to bring up a different server, which I have done also with the same results. This equipment is listed as being compatible, I am hoping someone has dealt with this setup somewhere and either seen the problem and fixed it, or set it up with no problems so we know it works.