backup/duplicate

Two questions:

1. Since I have to Duplicate rather than backup with Express because of the 4 GB limit, where do I find the "directory"

in Windows ME to backup since this is not backed up with Duplicate?

2. When doing a restore, do I restore the directory first from the backup and then the Duplicate or the Duplicate and then the directory or doesn't it matter?

Thanks

Dave Wright

iradmd@dsl-only.net

1. I think you mean registry. You can do a no files backup and it will just backup your registry.

To do this: click on immediate, click on backup. Choose your C: drive as your source. choose your destination (where you want to backup to). For selecting choose no files. Then do the backup.

2. When you restore you duplicate back to the drive you want to restore to then you restore your registry.

Using Express, I did not get to choose my destination and it seemed to end up in "My Documents".

This is the sequence: Immediate -> Backup. Volume selection -> (C:) (my computer HD) -> OK. Backup Set Creation -> Storage Type -> file (backing up to an external HD) -> Name -> Dave Registry -> new. Saving File Backup Set -> My documents (on your web site I have read to save to the external HD but when you do this and try to repeat the process it can't find the catalog). Backup Set Selection -> Dave Registry -> OK. Immediate Backup -> double click Selecting to open -> select no files -> OK. Backup. Really Execute? -> OK. It took about 39 seconds to back up and was not on my Hard Drive, but was in My Documents.

Can I duplicate my HD, backup my directory and backup my wife's HD all on the external HD or does one process erase one of the other processes. I have plenty of space on my external hard drive.

Thanks, Melissa.

Sounds like your still using the wrong type of backupset.

To do a backup to a file backup set, choose "Create New" from within Configure>Backup Sets. From within the backup set creation window, set the "Storage Type" to "File". Name the backup set, click New, and save it on your destination hard drive. When doing your immediate or scheduled backup, select the newly created backup set as your destination.

Archived