Files fail to backup

I am trying out Retrospect Desktop 5.6 on my Windows XP Home Edition computer.

When I do a backup a few files always fail to backup due so sharing violation or something.

How am I supposed to know if these files are important?

The NTBACKUP.EXE program which comes with Windows XP seems to be able to back up everything and also seems to take a picture of my computer at an instant so that if things get changed during the making of the backup it doesn't matter and they will verify correctly as well. I don't know how it does this but maybe it's to do with the System restore feature or with NTFS's ability to store more than one version of a file.

Why can Retrospect do this?

I find the same result. In my case, most of the files are not a problem. They are either Retrospect or temporary OS files. If you use Outlook though, the .pst file IS important and usually cannot be backed up if Outlook is open (outlook locks the file). See the knowledge base article http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=knowledgebase_article&id=172 on running the external script to shutdown outlook before the script runs.

But beware also. I am just discovering there are many important OS system files that are not backedup and no warning is given -- they are explicitely ignored by Retrospect. The files are important for disastor recovery. Do a search on "missing files" in the knowledgebase to learn more.

Turning off System Restore didn't seem to make any difference.

These are the files that don't back up:

File "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

File "C:\Program Files\DigiGuide\programs.dat": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)

I know what the last one is and it's not important.

Files which don't compare are these:

File "C:\WINDOWS\Help\TDL70.HLP": didn't compare at offset 99 in stream ""

File "C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\RTHLPSVC.EXE-289FBD89.pf": different modify date/time (set: 09/07/2002 23:37:00, vol: 10/07/2002 00:17:22)

I think the Prefetch file is probably unimportant.

Of course if anyhing is running while you do the backup you get lots more compare errors.

Archived