Recurring wind.cpp Error

I have been getting a specific wind.cpp error repeatedly and relatively regularly. I just wanted to see if anyone has any ideas. So here goes:

This is the error from assert_log.utx that I get one or two times per week on average:

OS: Windows 2000 version 5.0 (build 2195), Service Pack 2

Application: C:\Program Files\Dantz\Retrospect\Retrospect.exe, version 5.6.127

Exception occurred on 5/20/2002 at 1:35:06 PM

Error info: Assertion failure at "wind.cpp-6050"

Exception code: E0000000 ASSERTION

Fault address: 77E989D1 0001:000179D1 KERNEL32.DLL

I am backing up to a Sony AIT 300C 4 tape AIT library via an Adaptec 2940 SCSI card with most current firmware and most current ASPI (4.7) installed and recognized. Sometimes after these assertion errors, the library is often not recognized and only a shutdown of server and tape drive solves it. Many times the tape drive won't even respond to front panel access (ie, eject, switch tapes, etc.).

I am only using Backup Servers. No scripts. It is running 24 hours with one Backup Server or another. I manually Recycle the backup set on Friday (4 week rotation).

In looking through the KB, it suggests that I recreate the Backup Sets to see if that solves it. But if I'm Recycling, is that the same thing?

I just want to get some feedback before I try the drastic/dramatic W2K reinstall or migrate it to another server.

I hate to say this but we have seen customers in the past with this assert. A complete reformat and reinstall of Windows was necessary to get past this error. The Wind.cpp-5986 error means that we tried to create a window, but the Windows API to create the window failed.

As I mentioned we have seen that this is caused by corruption or damage to the Windows operating system.