Latest Desktop version # ?

I can't find any way to tell in the downloads on this BBS which exact version of 5.6 is currently available. No date or inline decimal version number is given. There's a new driver 2.8 but no way to tell if I already have it or not.

This is particularly annoying since you have to go through the whole, pre-download questionnaire process just to see what file is available. Contrast this with, say, Netscape. I can tell immediately that 4.79 and 6.2.2 are the download versions available there.

If you open your operations log, it will tell you the exact build number that you are using.

It will also tell you if you are using any ADK or RDUs.

You can do this by going to the operations log found under the Window menu at the top of the screen and clicking on Log.

I know what program build I am using (5.6.132). I can tell that from the Retrospect Help/About. What I can't tell is if there is a later build posted here on the Dantz website. The download section gives no clue about build numbers or file dates until you actually download or at least go through the whole download questionnaire process.

Your comment about the Ops Log was still helpful. I discovered that my Driver Update is 2.6.106. That tells me that the 2.8 driver is newer and I should probably download it. However, I assume there will eventually be the same question when inline builds for the 2.8 driver are posted. There will be no indication when 2.8.0 goes to 2.8.01, for example.

Another point about the updates. When I downloaded the 2.8 driver, the text file said it was supplied

"to support new drives, fix bugs, and work around problems. For a list of devices supported by this

driver update, point your web browser to . . ."

However, I cannot find any list of what the fixes and workarounds are. This would be very helpful and is something most

vendors (even shareware ones) do provide for software updates.

Incidentally, the 2.8 upgrade I got today is actually 2.8.111. Anyone reading this who downloaded 2.8 when it first came out

might want to check that they are running the .111 version of 2.8.