Can't get Recycle backups to work

At a small office I have three Retrospect scheduled scripts (Backup Set A, B, C) which are rotated every 3 weeks; each tape is left in for a week and set up to do a recycle backup on both Sunday and Wednesday, to the same tape, before it’s actually changed on Friday.

From what I understand, a recycle backup should reuse a previously used tape of the same name (or blank erased tape). In other words, it should automatically erase any previous content on the any tape of the same name before backup.

The problem is that it doesn’t do this. In order to get a complete backup of my drives I have to first erase the tape manually before the actual scheduled backup occurs. If I do so, the Sunday backup will execute fine on the tape but the Wednesday backup on the same tape will fail.

Any suggestions to get Retrospect to automatically erase a previously used tape of the same job name would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

If you haven't done so already:

Goto Special/Preferences/Media/Erasure and make sure "Minimal erase confirmation" is checked.

Double check the settings in Configure/Backup Sets/Properties/Options Media:Action... Recycle

That's about the extent of my expertise... ;-)

"Is this not what your seeing?"

Exactly Melissa.

(Bummper, thanks for the help but unfortunately the solution you offer works only for the next backup. I need something that is automated as much as possible. When I'm not around, I need these guys to just check the log and swap tapes. From what I understand, the type of recycle I need should be scheduled with the automated script; which of course I've done, but to no avail.)