Client error 541

I have installed Retrospect 5.6 client on a dual-homed Windows 2000 server. One of the NIC cards is used for an internal lan, and the other connects through a DSL line to the Internet.

I am using a Windows 2000 workstation with a tape drive on it as the backup server.

When I try to add this client in Retrospect and use multicast, Retrospect doesn't see it. When I try to direct connect this client and type in its IP address, I get error 541.

I have connectivity to this machine. I can read shared files on this machine, and can administer it remotely.

When I launch the Retrospect client, it tells me it is waiting for a connection.

I believe that the Retrospect client is bound to the Internet NIC card instead of the Internal Lan NIC card, but I have found no way to change it. Can anyone help me. I really need to back up this server.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an except from a Knowledgebase entry that might help you:

BindListener Instructions:

You must be using NT/2000/XP and want to force the client to bind to a FIXED address.

1. Use the services control panel to halt the Retrospect Client service.

2. In Regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dantz\Client\5.0

3. Change the BindListener value from "0.0.0.0" to the desired address.

4. Start the client service, open the control panel & verify the status is Ready or Waiting for first access.

Archived