back up

jase

Thanks for your quick response. It's a dat drive dds-4 . I have used old tapes, new tapes, enabled software compression, disabled software compression. And I still get the same capacity 23.5 or so on a DG4-150M tape. What I am going to try next is use Retrospect to back up the data on a big harddirve and see if it kicks it out at the same point.

Ok, I ran Retrospect and backup up to a hard drive and it ran fine.. So what does that mean? On all the dds-4 tape it kick them out. I also ran one yesterday and it kick it out at 17gigs. I always erase the tape first and then create a new set, so I don't know why it would act like it's full.

Ok, but this is the weird thing.......before we ever had problems with our dat drive, we were able to backup our data all of it. It only went up a few gigs since then, the type of data hasn't change. This is what happend... my sup was asked to restore a few files..when he did there wasn't anything in them, there would be a word file but no text inside it or a drawing file without the drawing. So we sent it back to the dat people..... then they fixed it and we started having that problem with the tape kicking out. I sent it back again and they said there was nothing wrong with it that they were able to backup 37gigs. I can't think of anything else., I am backing it up the same way I did before all this happend. Sorry to bug so much!

Thanks,

Jase

Check the backup performance to make sure it is not much slower then it used to be. You may want to try the tape drive with a different SCSI cable, or try attaching it to a different computer/SCSI card to see if the capacity improves.

Try creating a backup set with hardware compression disabled. Try the backup again. If the capacity increases, then your data may have actually been growing in size due to hardware compression having trouble with pre-compressed files.