Execution errors: creation time/date discrepancy of 100 years

We attempted a full system backup (except for cache files) via Retrospect 5 to a Maxtor external firewire drive on a Powerbook G4 running OS X 10.3.5. After six hours, ten minutes and 58 seconds of backup, Retrospect reported the job complete - except for 177,224 execution errors - all of which appear in the log to involve the same creation date/time error. Sample error as follows:

file "mail-extr.elc":different creation time/date (src: 8/21/2003 2:23:56 PM, dest: 1/1/1904 12:00:00 AM), path: "Data Plus/usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/mail/mail-extr.elc"

Is this a Retrospect problem or a computer problem involving the tick timer or a combination of the two or what?? No user-interactive programs except Retrospect were being used during the backup, no dialogue windows open, no LAN connections made. The backup was less than 20 percent complete. How do we overcome whatever went wrong?

• 3 weeks later...

The PRAM battery is the original, which makes it one year, eight months and two days since purchase. The date and time as shown on the desktop is always correct; however, when booted from a CD the date and time is sometimes off by several days although the year has always been correct. Does this indicate a faulty PRAM battery? Are there other symptoms besides time/date fluctuations that might help confirm a PRAM battery problem?

The format of the external drive is MacOS extended. We reformatted twice, thinking this might be the problem, but have yet to achieve any kind of useful automatic backup.

Hi

The time difference when booting from CD is an indication that something may be wrong.

The PRAM battery on my Lombard powerbook is dead as, well...a dead thing. If I pull out the laptop battery and the DC adapter for a few hours the time will go back to 1970 or 1900 when I boot it again. The system log shows those dates until the machine checks the time server.

Do you have your machine set up to use a time server? That may resolve this...

Thanks

Nate

Archived