ATTO UL4S + 10.3.4 + Retrospect 5.1

In trying to access SCSI DDS tape drives In Retrospect 5.1.177 using an ATTO UL4S SCSI adapter and Panther 10.3.4, I find that all devices in the Device Status window show the SCSI target ID as 0. Only one drive shows as being accessible in the Available Storage Devices window.

The drives display the correct SCSI target using the ATTO Configuration Tool, but no target ID appears in Apple's System Profiler. ATTO claims that the System Profiler is unreliable, and that the problem the drives do not appear in Retrospect is the fault of the Retrospect software. I am using the latest versions of the ATTO driver (3.1.0) and firmware (1.4.2f1).

I also have an Adaptec 29160 SCSI card installed. Using this card and the most recent available driver (1.2, not certified for Panther), the target IDs of the tape drives are visible in both the System Profiler and in Retrospect.

Question: Does what ATTO is saying regarding Retrospect 5.1 and the System Profiler make sense, or are they just shifting blame?

Incidentally, I upgraded to Retrospect 6.0, but then downgraded back to 5.1.177 for two reasons: I was not ready to start a new catalog file (as 6.0 requires), and I was unable to successfully restore from version 5.0 tapes.

Hi

For what its worth this is the first time I have heard someone say the system profiler is unreliable. If a device does not display properly in the system profiler you can bet it will not work properly in Retrospect.

I suspect the Atto utility is using a different (perhaps better) method to talk to the device that OSX is.

Have you installed the SCSI update for Retrospect 5.1? You need to do that to use the latest drivers from Atto. (this is not necessary if you use Retrospect 6.0)

Are you using a cable that converts from 68 pin to 50 pin SCSI? That probably won't work well.

Thanks

Nate

I believe that Retrospect 5.1.177 already incorporates the SCSI update, as the SCSI Update Installer says it's the "wrong version" to update.

I am using 68 pin cables throughout. I have swapped out cables and terminators; zapped PRAM, etc

As a test, I just installed a basic version of Retrospect 6.0. In its device configuration window, Retrospect 6 shows both tape drives with their proper SCSI targets, and will identify tapes inserted in either drive. However, it is only able to read or write from the first drive in the SCSI chain (the same drive that is the only drive that Retrospect 5.1 can see). When attempting to access a tape in the second drive, all appears to be well at first, but then the "rotating gear" cursor spins forever and the drive never starts up.

Sounds like I need to turn the heat up on ATTO's tech support.