I started getting an error while performing a backup to DVD that says it cannot precede due to "bad media or dirty heads" (great name for a rock band).

Before I make more DVD coaster I would to get some feedback.

First off it made me wonder, how does one maintain the laser on a intrnal SuperDrive?

the error happens around the same time in the backup process. Not write away but after about 20% of the first DVD has been written.

Any and all support appreciated.

Henry Cline

OS X 10.3.3

iMac 17" w/ Superdrive

Ritek DVD media

Hi

I've been doing support for Dantz for 2 1/2 years. I have yet to see a restore problem because of a dirty lens on a CD or DVD drive. Although you can find lens cleaner disks every now and again...

Tape drives are easy to clean - you just need to pop in a cleaning cartridge.

Nate

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to backup my OSX Partition using CD-RWs. I keep getting the message, bad drive or dirty media also. I use this drive with Toast on a regular basis. I know my media is not dirty. Can't Retrospect write to CD-RWs?

-Dave

I have this problem also with CD-RW disks. I started using Staples brand & thought they were not good quality as I kept getting this error. It would write several without problem & then quit on several part way through. So I changed to Sony which gives about the same results. I regularly use the drive with other programs without problem.

Ken

Hi

In general TDK seems to work well for many users. Sony can be hit or miss. It really boils down to what brand works brand in your particular drive. It may take some trial and error.

Retrospect's packet writing method is very sensitive to errors. This is by design - better to find potential problems before you need to restore data.

Taiyo Yuden media is tough to find in the US but it is hands down the best in my book. They are still made in Japan so the cost is a bit higher than others.

Thanks

Nate

Archived