error 519 with mac client

slava

I am running Retrospect 5.0. with OS 9.1 on g3 machine.

Storage Device is exabyteTape Drive

Clients are running 5.0

When the retrospect starts with backup I get error 519 (network communication failed)." And the mac machine completely frozen the machine should be restarted. I used the retrospect 4.2 on this environment with no problems.

Have you guys met this problem?

What is the operating system of the client?

How many clients do you have? Does this happen with all clients?

There are a number of troubleshooting steps to pinpoint the cause of the 519 error. Have you gone through any of the suggestions in the Knowledgebase article? It's at:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=knowledgebase_article&id=186

The OS 8.1 is installed on client.

We have 20 clients so 19 clients backup normally.

The problem client is most important in out environment (file server) there are 5 scsi drives and a lot of files should be backed up.

I have read the tech note 415 but I did not find any problem on my server.

What kind of computer is the client? Is it one of the ones listed under the "Known Issues," specifically mentioning the problem with 8.1 and certain networking?

What were the results of the hardware troubleshooting recommended (changing cables, hubs, routers, etc.)?

>What kind of computer is the client?

The power mac 8600/300

>Is it one of the ones listed under the "Known Issues," specifically mentioning the problem >with 8.1 and certain networking?

This computer was backing up with retrospect 4.2 just fine, I have been having a problem since I upgraded retrospect 4.2 to 5.0.

>What were the results of the hardware troubleshooting recommended (changing cables, >

>hubs, routers, etc.)?

Same problem the client freezes.

I've pasted the relevent section of the Tech Note below. Please try the suggested solution and let the forum know how it goes.

Thanks!

1. Networking problem with pre-G3 PCI-based Macs

Technical Note #414[/url on our web site describes an issue with on board Ethernet on certain Mac and Mac clone models, available at:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=technotes

Dantz found a problem with built-in Ethernet on all non-G3 PCI-based Mac OS computers. The problem tends to occur during large data transfers on a busy network. The symptoms are error 519 followed by complete loss of all networking on affected computers. Affected computers may also crash while restarting or shutting down after the network failure.

While Retrospect can trigger the problem during network backups, it is not the ultimate cause. The networking problem also occurs with the Finder and AppleShare IP during large data transfers on busy networks.

Solutions

One solution is to upgrade to Mac OS 8.6. The Apple Enet extension (version 2.1.2) included with Mac OS 8.6 fixes the problem. Mac OS 8.6 Update is a free update for Mac OS 8.5 customers and it is available from:

http://asu.info.apple.com

If you have computers which are not officially supported by Mac OS 8.6 (for example, Mac clones) or you do not have enough memory or disk space to run Mac OS 8.6, you have two choices:

- Install and use third-party Ethernet cards, which do not have this networking problem.

- Use Mac OS 8.1, remove its 'Ethernet (Built-In)' extension and replace it with the new 'Apple Enet' extension from Mac OS 8.6. Though this combination is not supported by Apple, our extensive testing found the Apple Enet extension (version 2.1.2) solves the problem on affected computers running Mac OS 8.1.

Following is a list of computers known to be affected by this networking problem.

Apple

Power Macintosh 7200, 7215, 7300, 7500, 7600, 8200, 8500, 8515, 8600, 9500, 9515, 9600

Workgroup Server 7250, 7350, 8550, 9650

Archived