Error -43 (file/folder not found)

• 2 weeks later...

I hope that someone will answer this as I too have this problem. I am not on a server, but on a desktop. Over the past 8 months I've gotten perhaps 3 backups, but I have spent countless days and nights trying to get the backup to run. Nope! Just the stupid -43 file not found and we can't get any further.

Can anyone tell me how to tell it to just forget the lost file, and get the rest of the stuff backed up!???

I am on a G4, running OS 10.2.6 and Retrospect 5.1.

I need to back up desperately right now as I need to replace my hard drive with a larger drive, but can't until I get one decent backup.

I'd settle for duplicating, but that fails to run for the same reason.

Hi

Does this error happen during the file scan?

Does it happen when you try to backup individual subvolumes rather than the whole disk?

Any details you could provide about when the error happens and what follows would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nate

I have the same problem with one OS X client. It happens during the file scan, almost immediately after the scan starts.

The error comes up when trying to backup an individual subvolume. Today I switched it to try backing up the whole disk and I get the same result.

A different script backs up a different subvolume on this client without incident.

Hi

Chances are there is a two byte hyphen or tilde in a folder name somewhere in a users folder. A good place to look is in MP3 directories or file downloads.

Certain unicode charachters that get included in folder names will cause the scan to fail.

Retrospect 6.0 unicode support fixes this problem.

Thanks

Nate

Thanks

Nate

We do have clients with tilde-titled files successfully being backed up. Not sure about two byte hyphens. Is that something other than an em/en dash?

So the problem could be either in the name of the file or the folder, not just the folder name? I imagine invisible files could contain them too.

It's frustrating that something as simple as a character in a file name can bring Retrospect to its knees (and that it gives no log entry to tell you which name is the problem).

Hi

Tildes and hyphens don't cause this problem in Retrospect 6.0. More than likely there is some file corruption on your disk. Using the subvolumes will help you narrow down where the problem file is.

Agreed this is a pain but a scrambled file name can corrupt all the data that Retrospect collects during the file scan. Once the scan data is corrupt it has to punt and give the error. If it can't read the file during scanning it can't read it to list the file name.

Nate

Does the scan occur in the same order as a directory listing? Does it scan all files in a given directory before walking subdirectories, or does it branch off soon as it hits one?

I was using the "browse" feature under Configure -> Volumes, which does the same scan as running a backup (and throws up the same error) but then opens a window with all the files it managed to scan. By comparing where it stopped with what's actually on the drive, I was able to find and remove two problematic folders that then allowed the scan of their parent directories to complete without an error (a Macromedia prefs folder and Safari's icon cache folder).

Unfortunately there's something else funky in there that prevents a scan of the entire drive, and where the scan stops isn't immediately revealing which file/folder is to blame (which is where knowing the order that the scan is done comes into play).

Hi

I believe the scan happens in alphabetical order by directory. Beyond that I am not sure how it goes into the directories.

have you tried deleting the contents of the .Trash folders from a terminal window with the rm command? (this is daangerous if you have not used it before so be careful)

This may be the long way around but it is worth a shot. Create some large disk images and try a finder copy of the folders on the root of the hard drive. If we are lucky the finder copy will fail on the problem file or folder as well giving us a better idea of where it is.

Nate

Archived